Cutting bard-Hinoki vs Walnut vs Maple vs Cherry

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khashy

Reaction score
I have an edge grain walnut board that I'm finding too small, so I'm in the market for a new board.

Knives I use are pretty much all carbon gyutos and I try to keep my edges sharp.

What are the recommendations? Endgrain Walnut vs maple vs cherry.

Also how does Hinoki compare to these?

Thanks.

I've got three boards in rotation - maple, cherry, and walnut - and I keep coming back to my favorite, the maple. It's a bit harder than the others, and feels the best when cutting on it. Not as pretty, but ...

I've got three boards in rotation - maple, cherry, and walnut - and I keep coming back to my favorite, the maple. It's a bit harder than the others, and feels the best when cutting on it. Not as pretty, but ...

Thanks R.

Which one do you find easiest on your blade? Is there a discernible difference in terms of how they edges at the end of your prep?

I own a beautiful walnut cutting board, but you are paying a premium for looks. Maple offers the best bang for the buck

I own a beautiful walnut cutting board, but you are paying a premium for looks. Maple offers the best bang for the buck

Thank you BK.

Given the larger size, I think the price difference will be significant. If there is no functional benefit I will write walnut off the list.

So need to hear opinions regarding maple vs cherry and then to figure out where hinoki sits in all of this.

Maple I think should be clearly the hardest of all your options (at least the maple used for end grain boards in the US). Cherry and Walnut aren't far off from each other compared to Maple
227wood on ebay has end grain walnut boards, sap pattern, for a decent prices. Just not sure what shipping to UK would be

Maple I think should be clearly the hardest of all your options (at least the maple used for end grain boards in the US). Cherry and Walnut aren't far off from each other compared to Maple
227wood on ebay has end grain walnut boards, sap pattern, for a decent prices. Just not sure what shipping to UK would be

Oh cool, he also has maple and cherry actually. Shipping isn't actually too bad, 39$

There isn't any discernible difference in the edge, at least that I can detect.

Agreed, I have used all three and can't tell much of a difference in this regard. The one thing I have noticed is my walnut board seems to have slightly more open pores and requires oil more often.

There isn't any discernible difference in the edge, at least that I can detect.

Right, can I just clarify what you mean by maple feeling the best? Is this how it 'hugs' the knife? Or the sound?

Maple has a slightly faster feel IMO, almost as if the knife glides on the surface better. This is also why some prefer edge grain (Salty if I recall).

From the one picture it appears they use different size blocks (perhaps scraps from a larger project). It also looks like the blocks don't have a consistent running bond (every other row doesn't line up). I would also ask what glue is used, you want titebond 3 or similar.

A good running bond will add strength. It should look just like brickwork

image.png

From the one picture it appears they use different size blocks (perhaps scraps from a larger project). It also looks like the blocks don't have a consistent running bond (every other row doesn't line up). I would also ask what glue is used, you want titebond 3 or similar.

A good running bond will add strength. It should look just like brickwork

View attachment 34934

Aha! I see what you mean. It also looks 'cheap' compared to what foody pointed out

You want a board made with a consistent and larger block size, preferably utilizing a running bond. Smaller blocks are often a sign that scrap pieces were used and requires more glued joints.

Here is my board as an example, notice the consistency in both size and the running bond.

image.jpg

I really need to bring forward my trip to your side of the pond....
I have so many things I want to buy there

I was in the same situation a couple years ago:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/24249-Maple-Cherry-or-Walnut-for-Cutting-Board

I liked my 16x22x2.5 end grain napalm boardsmith enough that I also went and got a 12x20x2 made from the same maker as my mag rack.

I haven't had problems using maple end grain for edges, but technique also comes into consideration. Hinoki is softer but you can easily dig into the board

I also have hinoki and it is lighter and softer although edge grain, smells nice too. CuttingBoard.com has Kiso and Kodai hinoki boards and DHL shipping to Canada was decent, not sure what the uk would be.

Also have an interesting wood called Aomori hiba which is like hinoki but an entire slab, haven't used them as they were pretty expensive and I'd reserve them for special occasions

I was in the same situation a couple years ago:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/24249-Maple-Cherry-or-Walnut-for-Cutting-Board

I liked my 16x22x2.5 end grain napalm boardsmith enough that I also went and got a 12x20x2 made from the same maker as my mag rack.

I haven't had problems using maple end grain for edges, but technique also comes into consideration. Hinoki is softer but you can easily dig into the board

I also have hinoki and it is lighter and softer although edge grain, smells nice too. CuttingBoard.com has Kiso and Kodai hinoki boards and DHL shipping to Canada was decent, not sure what the uk would be.

Also have an interesting wood called Aomori hiba which is like hinoki but an entire slab, haven't used them as they were pretty expensive and I'd reserve them for special occasions

You realise what you're doing right? This is just eroding away my knives budget.

Joking aside, I'll definitely order a boardsmith and bring it back with me. I will also probably get a hinoki too 'for the missus'.

Agree about hinoki edge grain feeling softer. And you can cut visible grooves into it with J-knives pretty easily
Here's my 2 end grain from 227wood and top chop butcher block
They both aren't 100% flat across all the corners but I just place a folded paper towel under one of the corners and it's no problem

1489842177352.jpg

1489842259717.jpg

I have a couple of beautiful mosaic end grain boards, however I tried one of the hinoki boards from cutting board . com and it was a revelation for me. Yes it is softer, and yes it smells wonderful, and yes it shows its use, and yes I think it is gentler to the J knives. Using hinoki has changed my cutting technique and if it's almost exclusively what I now use on a daily basis.

Agree about hinoki edge grain feeling softer. And you can cut visible grooves into it with J-knives pretty easily
Here's my 2 end grain from 227wood and top chop butcher block
They both aren't 100% flat across all the corners but I just place a folded paper towel under one of the corners and it's no problem

Would you mind sharing the dimensions of the boards and roughly how much they weigh? They'd have to fit into a suitcase!

Would you mind sharing the dimensions of the boards and roughly how much they weigh? They'd have to fit into a suitcase!

Ooooh good point.
Walnut 22x18x1.8 inches. Plus little feet on the bottom side however much that adds
Cherry 24x18x2 inches
(going off website quoted dimensions. I've never bothed to measure)
I'll weigh them tomorrow when I get home but would esimate the cherry at around 20lbs

Ooooh good point.
Walnut 22x18x1.8 inches. Plus little feet on the bottom side however much that adds
Cherry 24x18x2 inches
(going off website quoted dimensions. I've never bothed to measure)
I'll weigh them tomorrow when I get home but would esimate the cherry at around 20lbs

Thanks, 20lbs isn't too bad. I'm going to have next to no luggage and the case will be pretty much filled with knives and kitchen related things hat don't weigh much

Any particular reason you don't have beech on your list? They tend to offer the most bang for the buck...Though not the most attractive looks.

Any particular reason you don't have beech on your list? They tend to offer the most bang for the buck...Though not the most attractive looks.

No reason really, I've just not read a lot of recommendations about beech

No reason really, I've just not read a lot of recommendations about beech

Me neither... maybe it's not as common in the US? But I'm perfectly satisfied with my (rather cheapish) end-grain beech cutting board. I know some others who are as well. So I wouldn't necessarily write it off, especially when going for price / performance.
The only real downside I can see is that it might not look as pretty.

Back