Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gengetsu pass around

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    Yeah canada
    cool! Don't forget my sandwich Evan

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    That's cool. We can just start with you anyway. A hand off to brain sausage would be great(or tkern). Considering this pass around is going to be shipped via priority mail geographical proximity isn't too important. Like daveb already stated, for anyone that wants to test his semi gengetsu side by side w my wh2 needs to pm him, additional conditions apply in that case.
    Sweet!

once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Just a quick update that the knife has arrived. More thoughts to come soon but initial impression is wow. Will use it for dinner tonight and report back soon.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Looking forward to your comments chinacats!

In anticipation of getting a 240 to try out, I've only used my 210 all weekend.

Nope, didn't even break out any Nakiri. Love this knife. In fact, it's so light I feel very comfortable handling it and an thinking of stepping up to a 240, so again - thanks for the chance to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Just a quick update that the knife has arrived. More thoughts to come soon but initial impression is wow. Will use it for dinner tonight and report back soon.
    Any updates on your impressions of the Gengetsu? REAAALLYY considering snagging one of these.

I realize I've had this knife way too long and will get it moving in the next couple of days. I was holding off a bit until I got DaveB's older SS model for comparison.

First the passaround is a very nice knife and it came from Jon with a screaming edge. Release is better than I expected, the tip is nice and thin and the knife feels nicely balanced in hand. The knife excels at push/pull cuts.

What I found as downsides may be things that others appreciate. I found it a bit short in both height and length. Is also a bit lighter than I tend to enjoy. That said, the deal breaker for me is the stainless cladding...I realize this is something that many people really like but give me either monosteel or iron cladding.

I mentioned that I've also borrowed a older version off this knife (this model in semi-stainless). This knife is much more to my liking...it weighs about 40g more, is both longer and taller. It too had a wonderfully thin tip. It does wedge a bit but a little bit of thinning would bring it right back to its glory days.

In summary, the newer knife will be awesome if it ticks the right boxes for you. For me, my next purchase from Jon will likely be my third V2 Kochi

Really want to thank Craig for the passaround opportunity and hope it starts a new trend--actually an old trend that was spoiled by a bad apple a while back.

Josh(brainsausage)has it?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Josh(brainsausage)has it?
    Not yet...

Hey ya'll I'm dragging a$$ on this one apologies. So I have both Gengetsu's, and I'm curious if I'm shipping out both to the next in line, or if Daveb's is headed back home?

The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky