Gengetsu pass around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

https://www.teruyasu.net/products/
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my attempt at knocking some dust off this sub forum, today I am offering up my close to new condition gengetsu 240mm white 2 gyuto for pass around. I'm still working out the terms of the pass around in my head as I've never done a formal pass around before, infact suggestions would be welcome in private or public. The only rules I really have is that participants insure the knife for shipping and I really really would sleep better if I had very regular status updates from participants when the knife is in your possession.....
Now with that being said I'm going to be pretty picky about who participates. I'll elaborate more shortly.
Thanks.

Jebus 10/10 sign me up. Maybe make it only very very well known and trusted status members. Say several hundred posts and a long term respected member.

One thing that always bothers me about passaround is that you can't ensure the condition of the knife by the time it reaches people. If it's OK, I'd like to offer my sharpening service and checking in on it from time to time, to make sure that it's the way that it should be when people are testing it out. Hopefully I'm not overstepping here.

I'd be interested, but you'll have to make an exception on the "respected" part.

Would love to be included on this one if it works out...preferably right after one of Jon's tuneups:biggrin:

I would like to try the knife if I qualify (not a long term member, much less "respected") and it comes this side of the border (I can see Godslayer asked in).

Jon, you beat me to it-I was going to inquire about what level of involvement you would like. Whatever you're comfortable with would be great for me(and probably everyone).

I would like to try the knife if I qualify (not a long term member, much less "respected") and it comes this side of the border (I can see Godslayer asked in).

:knife: If it makes it to Calgary I'll have to pass it on to you with a Sándwich cubano and a poutine.

:knife: If it makes it to Calgary I'll have to pass it on to you with a Sándwich cubano and a poutine.

Hope it makes it here.
:hungry: I would take a guess that a Sandwich cubano has some roasted pork inside?

If it does end up in Canada I wouldn't mind trying it out for a few days provided the scheduling works out, but if there's already too many I understand. Will send PM shortly

I would love to participate if I qualify, it not I totally understand and I will not be offended since I haven't been too active here on the forums. But on the off chance that I do, I would love to give the knife a spin.

I would love to try it out. I'm probably not what you'd consider an established member but you could hold one of my knives for ransom to make up for it. And you wouldn't have to ship it.

Great of you to offer it up for others use! And of course it is great of Jon to offer his services as well!

I have one of the semi-stainless and got one for the folks.

I would love to try it out. I'm probably not what you'd consider an established member but you could hold one of my knives for ransom to make up for it. And you wouldn't have to ship it.

Well you live in Louisiana-maybe we could work something out on the side. I live in BR.

I've been doing some behind the scenes screening/vetting, because some of you guys I'm not too familiar with. Some of y'all have already participated in pass arounds and you obeyed the rules of the pass around(huge plus :) ). Senior forum members reached out and more less vouched for a few people that I initially wasn't going to let participate. Unfortunately, there's still a couple of people I just don't feel comfortable with yet. Sorry about that, I really am. If this pass around goes well I have a bunch of other things I want to use for future pass arounds(takeda, gesh 4K stone, etc etc).
I learned a lot from pass arounds in the past(at one time there was a kato pass around!!!), I was able to try cool stuff that influenced how I viewed jknives and definitely had an effect on future purchases. Knives I most likely wouldn't have bought on my own. But in recent years less and less pass arounds have become the norm for a variety of reasons. In the next week or 2 I'll start making the pass around list-for those that aren't in the list but are still interested in testing gengetsu please feel free to PM me and we can make other arrangements as I don't want to exclude anyone completely.

I surprised that more of you have purchased a Gengetsu. One thing for sure after the passaround, Jon will be selling more of these. I've had mine for a month or so (SS 210) and love it for what it is. A mid weight, well ground, flat profile, laser thin at the edge w/ w nice robust spine. The Kasumi looks cool and seems to hold up well to scratches. The knife get silly, silly sharp. I'm hoping Jon will release more knives from the Gengetsu line.

Back