Judge my sharpening!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to see what's going on at your small edge bevel, but for the wide bevel, would suggest getting a coarse stone (320-500 grit, maybe 220 grit) to even out the high and low spots, get it more uniform

only thing that really matters is, how does it cut?

The large bevel as far as I know mostly comes slightly hollow with high and low spots because it's normally ground on a round stone, it's takes some elbow grease to even out on the stones, but once it's flattened out you'll know and will be happy with it, your kds should leave a cool and somewhat uniform finish when you get to that point

Difficult to judge but a #6000 grit should give you a close to mirror finish.
Scratch patterns are often more parallel to the edge.
Just a guess

Awesome! Thanks guys, i'm still working out kinks in my technique, getting a bit of wobble when i sharpen with the knife at a 45 like Jon's video, whereas the opposite side its pretty stable and consistent.

It is a little counter intuitive pushing the blade up the stone at a 45 esp. when the spine is away from you. With more practice you will nail it with out wobble.

Ah, i was doing jon's method, that 45 degree method is hard to do without too much wobble, any tips on that part?

Make sure your push pull between your angle control hand and your pressure hand are synced up well. For me that's the easiest part to hold good angle control, and I struggled with the backside

For the large bevel, staying 100% parallel to the edge would make your scratch pattern easier to control and then more constant and better looking.
For the small edge bevel, something like 5-10° is ok and will be more forgiving in case of your stone being not totally flat. (it's not totally flat ;-) )

Back