Grand Prize 1900 knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutFingers

Reaction score
I can't figure out the date on this one. Sorry I don't have photos. I can't exactly get a good close up of the blade. It's a nice big fat tall 12 incher.

The Grand Prize lettering is faded.It reads 1900, then what looks like to be 04 lettering...No serial number or anything that I can make out.

I think it was used with a steel so heavily as to wear off the maker marks. It has a lighter wood handle with small pin rivets, not the larger ones of the more modern knives. So my guess is the handle material is hickory or hard maple. It's not ebony.

I could try to take some photos if that helps. The knife needs some sharpening and tip repair. What is nice, is that is still quite tall and has a large belly, it hasn't been bird beaked to the point of being a toothpick.

I paid 25$ for it. I am sure it will be fun to cut with once it's sharpened up.

These have come up here before . Cool old Henckels , 04 lettering refers to 1904 Worlds Fair. Supposed to be award winners. Some good examples go for big money. Looks like you got yourself a rip deal. Steeley posted some cool pix in a previous post a few years back

They won the grand prize in Paris 1900 and then again in St.Louis 1904. If your knife has both dates then it was made post 1904 up ? If it has only 1900 then it was made between 1900-1904

The handle pins were likely iron. It was common to see small iron pins in handles pre-1900, not so much after as the cutler's rivet was invented in the late 1890's.

Back