Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 years times 60 blades forged per day is how many knives?

50 years times 60 blades forged per day is how many knives?

Forgive me if this was discussed earlier... but I was browsing around on Carter Cutlery website and saw that he described Kenichi Shiraki as having spent 50 years forging an average of 60 blades per day (which he also says is a conservative estimate considering Shiraki was supposedly able to forge 250 blades per day in his prime).

If you could forge a blade in 10 minutes, that's still only 60 knives in a 10 hour workday with no downtime... I can't even begin to imagine how somebody can forge 250 knives in one day?

Are there other well known Japanese bladesmiths who are/were just as prolific?

60 blades a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year, 50 years = 750,000 blades give or take...

"So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Omg that are a lot of knives!!

Quote Originally Posted by milkbaby View Post
    Forgive me if this was discussed earlier... but I was browsing around on Carter Cutlery website and saw that he described Kenichi Shiraki as having spent 50 years forging an average of 60 blades per day (which he also says is a conservative estimate considering Shiraki was supposedly able to forge 250 blades per day in his prime).

If you could forge a blade in 10 minutes, that's still only 60 knives in a 10 hour workday with no downtime... I can't even begin to imagine how somebody can forge 250 knives in one day?

Are there other well known Japanese bladesmiths who are/were just as prolific?
    there are a few others on that level in sakai... also, dont think that he works every day or made that many knives every day... that would just be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    there are a few others on that level in sakai... also, dont think that he works every day or made that many knives every day... that would just be wrong
    So as a knowledgeable person. How many would you estimate 100k? 200k?

probably more than that, but not quite 750k... i could be wrong though... i mean, he is good and he can make things quickly, but there are vacations, weekends, days its too hot to forge, or days its too cold to work. And also, keep in mind that he's not making completed knives... they are rough forged knives that require significant work to get close to what we consider to be a knife. I really should post more about this when i'm in japan this year. I know i've posted on it before, but i think its important for people to see the steps the knives go through in the making process.

Yeah, hadn't really thought of it that way, worth the reflection. Thanks, To know more about the process and degree of finishing would certainly be cool 😎
    Eat to live? -> live to eat... but as long as we are at it... eat very, very well!

probably more than that, but not quite 750k... i could be wrong though... i mean, he is good and he can make things quickly, but there are vacations, weekends, days its too hot to forge, or days its too cold to work. And also, keep in mind that he's not making completed knives... they are rough forged knives that require significant work to get close to what we consider to be a knife. I really should post more about this when i'm in japan this year. I know i've posted on it before, but i think its important for people to see the steps the knives go through in the making process.
    I know I personally would love every scrap of incite you could give on the knife trade in Sakai. But especially seeing some of those top smiths work would be a really treat. There's definitely an audience for such info here~

I really should post more about this when i'm in japan this year. I know i've posted on it before, but i think its important for people to see the steps the knives go through in the making process.
    Yes please Jon. Your insights in to these topics are always informative.
    Looking for a signature that won't land me in trouble

Yea,ok so we are are saying the smith have forged few 100 k blobs of steel still impressive though but in the realm of possible.