How many types of Kings whetstone are there (e.g. deluxe, etc.)?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambo

Reaction score
Ive been searching the web with little luck. What is the best type King makes? Cheapest?

I'm surprised more vendors that carry King don't carry the Hyper stone(s).

there was a time when more did... you guys go through phases of what's popular rather quickly

All the King stones are made by a company called Matsunaga (www.matsunaga-corp.co.jp).

The selection is actually relatively limited.

-There's the well-known red-brown King Deluxe line, which comes in 300, 400, 700, 800, 1000, 1200. The 800/1000/1200 are really the core of that line, and they come in lots of different sizes.
-There's the coarse line of stones sold under the Sun tiger brand, in 220, 240 and even coarser grits.
-The yellow finishing stones in 4000, 6000 & 8000 grit.

-Then there are the hyper stones in 1000 grit.
-And Neo stones in 800 grit (these are supposedly a stone specifically for stainless steels).

There are loads of other stones for sickles, tools and all kinds of industrial uses but for knives this is it.

All the King stones are made by a company called Matsunaga (www.matsunaga-corp.co.jp).

The selection is actually relatively limited.

-There's the well-known red-brown King Deluxe line, which comes in 300, 400, 700, 800, 1000, 1200. The 800/1000/1200 are really the core of that line, and they come in lots of different sizes.
-There's the coarse line of stones sold under the Sun tiger brand, in 220, 240 and even coarser grits.
-The yellow finishing stones in 4000, 6000 & 8000 grit.

-Then there are the hyper stones in 1000 grit.
-And Neo stones in 800 grit (these are supposedly a stone specifically for stainless steels).

There are loads of other stones for sickles, tools and all kinds of industrial uses but for knives this is it.

I would add that someone here showed a King Hyper 2000 I think it the 1K stone hunt thread.

Yes, you can get a King Hyper 2000 from ebay for less than 100 USD including shipping (at least you could, last time I checked, last month).
Anyone tried the 2k hyper? My first stone was the King combo 800/6000, not a bad combo stone, but not great either

I would add that someone here showed a King Hyper 2000 I think it the 1K stone hunt thread.

Oddly enough it's not on their own website. Maybe it's old stock / no longer produced?

That would be my guess too, since it is branded as King Hyper, but I do not know for sure

Often, two different hardness grades (home and pro use) are mentioned when the old school king stones are discussed?

Haven't actually seen that on their website. They only differentiate in size / width. Same for the hypers.

Awesome, thanks for the insights! One last question--what's the difference between the hyper stone and the others?

Stu of TFJ did some interesting medium grit stone tests on chisels. King Deluxe, Neo, and Hyper (Hard) are mentioned, among others. http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/wordpress/?p=713
I recently bought a couple of HSS chisels and the last stone in that review to sharpen them, the Sigma Select II 1000. That stone is an absolute beast. It eats steel like it's nothing.

Back