Building a better duck

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godslayer

Reaction score
So as per my recent burger thread my burger game is now on point for summer( could probably take best burger in Calgary :razz:) :knight: so now I'm on to an equally complex topic the duck. My current plan is to do a play on Daniel Humm's honey lavender chicken. My plan was this

Day one - blanch and dry the duck, thinking in a fridge with a salt container to absorb moisture.

Day 2 step 1 - Season with honey, lavender, sichuan chili, cumin and coriander, toss her in the smoker with wood chips, dried chili peppers(aleppo) rendering out fat and imparting some fun flavours. (Smoker is 250-275) 2 hours roughly.

Step 2 roast at 425 until crispy and delicious.

Now what am I doing wrong. I know aging longer would be better but I'm too unprepared for such a feat.

Also serving with sarladaise cause duck fat makes everything better.

Curious about the Sichuan pepper ... I love this but not sure in this application (could be full o' sh!t here ... so don't shoot the messenger). You might want to try Ajwan (also Ajwain) Seed as it has both a cumin and thyme flavor profile (basically tastes like their love child) and this goes (IMO) exceptionally well with Aleppo as I have used them together quite a bit. Regardless sound like you will have some yummy duck once you can find & shoot one (Daveb - U crack me up bro) ... best of luck! PS If you need some Ajwain send me a PM and I will put some in the mail for you ...

Curious about the Sichuan pepper ... I love this but not sure in this application (could be full o' sh!t here ... so don't shoot the messenger). You might want to try Ajwan (also Ajwain) Seed as it has both a cumin and thyme flavor profile (basically tastes like their love child) and this goes (IMO) exceptionally well with Aleppo as I have used them together quite a bit. Regardless sound like you will have some yummy duck once you can find & shoot one (Daveb - U crack me up bro) ... best of luck! PS If you need some Ajwain send me a PM and I will put some in the mail for you ...

No worries sir. I basically stole the recipe from eleven Madison park but added my own twist with a smoker(pretty cocky to take on a 3 stared chefs signature dish and try and improve it. Although in sure he tried smoking. I'll check for Ajwain pepper next time I'm at the spice store.

"You might want to try Ajwan (also Ajwain) Seed"

Everyone might want to try it - also called the "If your Chaat sucks, you forgot it" spice :)

Or was the suggestion to use it as shot? I think Methi seeds would be more effective....

A better duck? It would have 4 breasts, 4 legs, and no wings.

I would prick the whole bird with something like a Jacquard.

I'd be very careful with the smoking too. Use mild fruit wood (apple?) and get that smoke clear and blue before adding the quacker. Also, after smoking, give it a quick rinse under warm tap water to remove any creosote/tar on the skin, it will give a cleaner, milder, less in your face smokiness flavor. Reseason as necessary.

Post pics

Oh there will be pics. Probably make her either Saturday or Sunday.

For me the biggest factor in improving the texture of the flesh, colour and dampening the irony/bloody duck flavor - is removing moisture. Give it a week or two in a fridge uncovered hung so the cavity doesn't pool with moisture, or you can stuff it with paper and change it twice a day. Covering it in any way is a fast track to mold and bacteria. Cook the duck the way you always do and notice the difference.

For me the biggest factor in improving the texture of the flesh, colour and dampening the irony/bloody duck flavor - is removing moisture. Give it a week or two in a fridge uncovered hung so the cavity doesn't pool with moisture, or you can stuff it with paper and change it twice a day. Covering it in any way is a fast track to mold and bacteria. Cook the duck the way you always do and notice the difference.

Next time I'll do this(Should of bought two ducks) the duck is chillin on a rack above some salt stuffed with paper.

I soaked a lamb in brine and got rid of some of that iron flavor. Not sure if it was the brine or what but that's my 2 cents.

@DaveB
No, but they get fatter.

@life
would not with fennugreek seeds aka methi, maybe if it was a batter, but then I would think to do chickpea flower instead. Duck? no, treat duck like lamb or other game meats and go for more game flavors. Ajwain could be ok but then that really throws off the lavender, if you want to go Indian then I would stick to something more acidic lemony...maybe dried mango powder/lemon verbena? But mixing of different hemispheres is difficult.

Back