Considering a Passaround w/ Marko Suji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well, nobody wanted the 290mm Marko suji in A2 I had on BST, so I'm considering giving people a chance to use a knife I won't have a ton of use for. I'm planning a move out of the country for a while, but a return to the US is inevitable.

Over this period I am considering letting some people here have a go at this knife. Maybe somebody will even want to buy the thing. I've never run a passaround, so if anybody has advice, feel free to PM me.

At this point, I have no clue how many people I'll let on, but to start it will have to stay in the States to keep things easy. We have a lot of members in Australia, so maybe if I'm gone for longer than expected it can make a trip over there.

This isn't a sure thing and I'll have to feel comfortable with you to get on the list. US and Oz members-- post in this thread or PM me if interested.

10/10 sign me up. I've never handled a Marko but have been super interested in his work.

I would def be keen if it makes it over here. Also keen for us Aussies to get together amd share the return OS shipping costs so it doesn't just get lumped on the last guy in the list

Well, if ti comes up here to Canada I would love to be included. I know you said US but just in case :wink:

What is A2 steel like?

Carbon tool steel, a bit wear resistant. Same composition as hitachi lsd (opps typo but I'll allow it)
How it is will of course depend on HT. To me it feels like a nice carbon on the stones, like to take a aggressive edge with pretty good retention.

What Robin said. A2 is really excellent knife steel (both outdoor and kitchen). It has only 5% of Cr so the rust resistance is limited, but plenty for normal use, while the sharpenability is still very good. Get a Yoshikane SKD (hammered) to see what it is like in hig HRC (aorund 64).

back onk topic - I would be interested should the knife manage to get to Europe (that is always tricky as customs do not really recognize 'passaround' as a valid reason not to pay duties)

oh thanks matus I had them mixed up, skd is the a2 equivalent, sld the d2.

Same composition as hitachi lsd (opps typo but I'll allow it)

Maybe I would've been able to sell the knife if this was the case

giphy.gif

Hey everybody,

There wasn't really enough interest on any one continent to do this passaround. I decided to try to sell the knife once this became apparent, and was successful.

Sorry to disappoint. I'll close the thread.

edit: I have no idea how to close the thread... maybe it's just a BST thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back