How to take meticulous care of your knives...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khashy

Reaction score
So I was visiting my elder uncle after a long time.

Turns out he likes his knives. He's not quite a knife nut but he does have quite a lot of blades even if they are all pretty generic mass manufactured Europeans.

In any case one in particular caught mu eyes.

It's an FDick chef's knife which has been meticulously looked after......

D2T8KIy.jpg

I have nothing else to add really.

bone saw?

Seems to have been meticulously hammered to cut through very hard stuff.

Yes, meticulous is not the first word that comes to mind! That one needs a full makeover....

I'm buying him a big ass barbecue cleaver next time I see him. Pretty much indestructible.

I thought of Munetoshi butcher but I don't think even that can stand this sort of abuse

Good grief! What do his less well cared for knives look like?
[emoji32]

Admittedly this is the worst one. I mean the rest aren't perfect but no where nearly as bad

Turns out he likes his knives. He's not quite a knife nut but he does have quite a lot of blades even if they are all pretty generic mass manufactured Europeans.

D2T8KIy.jpg

Not easy to get there with a soft stainless. Goes much faster with a Shun in the wrong hands.

Not easy to get there with a soft stainless. Goes much faster with a Shun in the wrong hands.

My thoughts exactly, but he has managed it. I'll be interested to see is he can o the same to this guy when I give it to him:

DVcxrw6.jpg

@khashy frozen food saws are expected to take some damage in the end, so what is odd about the F Dick?

@khashy frozen food saws are expected to take some damage in the end, so what is odd about the F Dick?

This isn't a frozen food saw. It is (was) just a normal chef's knife that has been smashed against bone and ended up like this over time.

"This isn't a frozen food saw."

It is now :)

But in earnest: Isn't abuse what true beater knives are intended for? That he could have chosen something actually more durable for these tasks is another matter :)

"This isn't a frozen food saw."

It is now :)

But in earnest: Isn't abuse what true beater knives are intended for? That he could have chosen something actually more durable for these tasks is another matter :)

Ha! Yeah that's true. At least credit where credit is due, he only used this one knife to hack at bone (The others were abused in their own way)

Looks like that knife saw a few rounds in the garbage disposal. Get him something too big to fit through the hole in the sink. Cleaver sounds like a good ghoice.

... with rounded edges, as common with traditional European ones to avoid bone splintering -- they don't cut either, I must admit.

In all likelihood here was no 'cutting' happening, just a case of man-gets-metal,man-bashes-metal-against-bone

D2T8KIy.jpg

Do they cut wood for the fireplace with this one?

Get him a Kiwi 840 - cheap, not too heavy but still sturdy...

Marks on the handle look like they are either from chopping into or a small dry grinding wheel?

Get him a Kiwi 840 - cheap, not too heavy but still sturdy...

Marks on the handle look like they are either from chopping into or a small dry grinding wheel?

Or maybe the dog had a bit of fun with it. All within the realm of possibility

"Or maybe the dog had a bit of fun with it"

Too consistent with the damage to the blade... I'd blame the robot not the dog....

Looks like that knife has opened up more than its fair share of coconuts.... or maybe steel cans.:bigeek:

Back