Quantcast
Introducing Japanese Knife Society - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Japanese Knife Society

The video with blowfish is better... Can see just so much care about the fish there, if you could say that...

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    The video with blowfish is better... Can see just so much care about the fish there, if you could say that...
    The Fugu vid is very dramatic and more exotic in the way that it's broken down. I was particularly awed at how flawless and quickly he removed the skin.

However, Fluke is one of my favorite things to eat and I really enjoyed seeing how gently he handled the very delicate fish. Even the way that he removed it from the net and then killed it seemed very careful and respectful, if not almost loving.
    -and the finished filets are just flawless: not so much as a fingerprint indent!

i thought i would be able to get english done for this video today, but it may be tomorrow... sorry for the delay

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    The Fugu vid is very dramatic and more exotic in the way that it's broken down. I was particularly awed at how flawless and quickly he removed the skin.

However, Fluke is one of my favorite things to eat and I really enjoyed seeing how gently he handled the very delicate fish. Even the way that he removed it from the net and then killed it seemed very careful and respectful, if not almost loving.
    -and the finished filets are just flawless: not so much as a fingerprint indent!
    The important part is the ike jime. Really make a difference in the final product.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    The important part is the ike jime. Really make a difference in the final product.
    I had heard of the of concept before, but never knew the name or had seem it done.
    Here's an interesting article about gulf fishing practices and a slowly growing movement to produce better grade fish through the adoption of ike jime
    http://digitalissue.houstonpress.com...8228&pn=12#_m0

Thank you berry much. Would a technique for Karei (facing right ones) be the same, but mirrored?

New Video from JKS- Hirazukuri and Sushi Netagiri of Maguro with a Yanagiba

The english notes are up already, so we hope you enjoy it.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

The JKS Team

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    Thank you berry much. Would a technique for Karei (facing right ones) be the same, but mirrored?
    Karei is a different kind of fish (the skin is even different), but the technique is the same. Both Hirame and Karei can be either right or left facing. Its still always hara-sei-sei-hara... belly, spine, spine, belly.

Jon, these videos are awesome. I can't wait till I get set up to try all these things out.