• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

J-Nats Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Now that my move is mostly complete and I've finished a review or two, its time to clear some space being taken up by a big ole box of rocks. Measurements (Metric) and prices (USD) are in the Excel snapshot below, followed by pictures. All stones have been sealed except the Aoto.

Shipping will be a flat $10 per buyer, CONUS. International shipping to be paid by buyer, I'm afraid.

I will consider trades +/- for knives or other jnats. If you've got something interesting to offer-like a Kato- you can always try me.

Feel free to PM with any questions, more details on individual stones, or trade offers.

Cheers,
Todd

1. Huge Ohira Renge Suita

2. Huge Umegehata Renge Suita

3. Ohira Renge Suita

4. Unknown Suita (Okudo?)

5. Shobudani Iromono

6. Shinden Awasedo

7. Maruoyama Shiki Uchimugori

8. Unknown Iromono Awasedo

9. JKI Hideryama (Mud pictured)

10. Giant Mizukihara Asagi (Dried mud in photo. White stone is normal sized suita for comparison)

11. Maruoyama Tomae

12. Aoto (Blue)

Group Shot, sorry the details of the stone surfaces got washed out a bit because of the lighting

I'm interested in the uchi. Have you used it? If so, can you describe it's character?

aoto blue - what is the hardness level or estimated grit?

b2kk258- Its on the harder side of aoto, I believe, but I've not used many of them. Not a mud demon like some turn out to be. Not totally confident on the grit as I didnt use it a whole lot, but if I had to guess, 1500 give or take.

Dang! A little slow on the uchi, was also curious about it

Yeah, I'm doing the happy dance. I was about to start a thread to ask for assistance choosing this exact stone.

Maruoyama Shiki Uchimugori, Maruoyama Tomae, Hideriyama-all sold.

Foody518, I had two of these and love them. I highly recommend them, if you ever come across one.

What a selection... lovely stuff mate. Dwalker, you got yourself a belter there.

Lovely stone selection! Glad to see i am not the only one who keeps his stone and knife collection in an xls file.

Lovely stone selection! Glad to see i am not the only one who keeps his stone and knife collection in an xls file.

Haha yup, one of the best decisions I ever made. Not only is a giant spreadsheet extremely useful for keeping track of all the details of knife and stone purchases, its also very satisfying to just look at. The only thing that bums me out sometimes is the running total I have calculated in a square at the bottom.

Haha yup, one of the best decisions I ever made. Not only is a giant spreadsheet extremely useful for keeping track of all the details of knife and stone purchases, its also very satisfying to just look at. The only thing that bums me out sometimes is the running total I have calculated in a square at the bottom.

No kidding, right?

I even linked the xls to automatically update exchange rates to have the current market value of my "portfolio."

Nerd. Also, awesome. Maybe someone should start a thread for discussing individual spread sheet set-ups, formula, suggestions, etc...

And hey look, seems there are stones for sale too...:)

I've had a few inquiries about several of the stones and some kind folks have pointed out to me that a bit more information and pictures might be useful.

#10 Giant Mizukihara Asagi- Falls pretty squarely into the pre-finisher category for me, you could end your knife here or jump up to a finer suita or awasedo to finish the edge. For a razor user it would be a pre-finisher only. Fits nicely when following from a mid-range stone like an Aizu/Ikarashi or a 2-3k synthetic. The 100mm+ width make it really nice to use on longer blades. For lovers of 270-330mm knives this would be a useful stone. Sorry I couldnt conjure up any more pictures, but there are stamps on one of the side.

#8 Unknown Iromono Awasedo- I really have no guess as to what mine this stone came from. It is on the harder side with a glassier feel when sharpening. Develops a good black slurry with wide bevels surprisingly quickly but a normal double-bevel benefits from a nagura or pre-generated slurry. Really good for edges and some shiny core steel, but it won't produce a consistent, streak-free finish on a wide bevel. (Picture below is slurry from a wide bevel).

#6 Shinden Awasedo- An unusual and uncommon stone, its a good finishing stone. It has nice patterned banding dry and wet. It leaves a shiny hagane and can produce great edges. Kasumi is a little tougher with this one if you aren't a skilled hand.

#5 Shobudani Iromono Awasedo- Ideal as a fine finisher that isn't too hard and that can still leave a good kasumi finish. Its almost kiita colored when wet, but with reddish and brown tones.

Alright let's keep this rolling. Making a trip to the post office Monday so I want to sell as many of these as possible this weekend. Price drops have been added below. Additionally, if you are interested in #1 or #2, the type 24 size suitas, I am willing to listen to offers, so shoot me a PM if you want.

If I didn't didn't already have some massive suitas I'd definitely hit you up on your offer regarding 1 & 2. They'd be worthy of collector status for their size alone.

#1 and #5 are sold. Only a few left, including the huge umegehata suita. Will sell the Shinden awasedo, Mizukihara awasedo, and Unknown Iromono Awasedo bundled for $800. Otherwise, I'm willing to work out deals for anyone interested in multiple stones via PM.

Final price drops! Let's move these last few off my coffee table. Reminder: shipping is $10 per package CONUS, international shipping paid for by buyer.

Bundles:
Shinden, Mizukihara, Iromono awasedo- $700
Umegehata Renge Suita+ 1 other stone- $825

One more try, prices now include shipping CONUS. Get in touch with any trades you might have.
Trade interests include: Watanabe gyuto/nakiri, nakayama stones suitable for kitchen knives, very fine final jnat finishers.

Not to be the actual devil on your shoulder but I had mizukihara almost exactly like it and it think it is just about perfect for finishing knives. Genuine keenness, still toothy and pretty nice cosmetics.

Not to be the actual devil on your shoulder but I had mizukihara almost exactly like it and it think it is just about perfect for finishing knives. Genuine keenness, still toothy and pretty nice cosmetics.

Yup, I remember us discussing that comparison. A great balance of tooth and sharpness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back