Looking for my first Gyuto...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomVang

Reaction score
Hello all.

In the market for my first j-knife. Looking for a Gyuto and my budget is $200-ish. Trying to decide on going one of two ways...

1) Split the budget, getting a lower priced gyuto and a starter sharpening set ; or

2) Use the full budget on the gyuto (get the gyuto professionally sharped as needed) - add a sharpening kit at some point in the future.

I lean more towards #1 but would love to hear opinions of the members.

Depending on the approach, these are the knives I’ve been considering:

Lower End

• Fujiwara FKM
  • Tojiro DP 240
  • Kagayaki CarboNext
  • Suisun Inox Western

Upper End:

• Gesshin Uraku Stainless
  • Ikazuchi Stainless Clad AS
  • MAC Pro 9.5”
  • Masamoto VG 204

Below are my "vitals" ... Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts / feedback.

What country are you in?
US

What type of knife are you interested in?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Western handle or Japanese handle?
Either

Blade length
240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Stainless or stainless clad carbon – I am fairly meticulous with my current knives but not entirely sure my wife / kids would be as diligent.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
~$200

Home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for?
Slicing/chopping/mincing vegetables, slicing meats, trimming meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Adding. Current chef knife is a K Sabatier. Also have a Wushof Classic for backup / heavier tasks.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch, Finger point

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Push cut, slice, Chop

What characteristics that you would like this knife to have.
Primarily want and knife with improved cutting characteristics, better food release, etc. Would like a knife that is sharp OOTB (although willing to pay for pre-shipment sharpening service for this) and has good edge retention. Relatively easy to sharpen.

Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood and synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Not at this time.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Would like to learn this skill at some point. Would probably practice on an older Wusthof first and send the gyuto out for sharpening until my skills honed.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
At some point – see above. If I get a higher priced gyuto I would send it out for sharpening until my skills are acceptable.

Suggestions based on knives I have:

Low end: Tojiro DP. One of the more recommended entry-level j-knives. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done.

Right at $200 USD: Tanaka Ginsan from K&S. I have both the older Nashiji and the newer, thinner Migaki, and prefer the Nashiji. The Tanaka is not the most expensive knife I own, nor is it the best cutter. However, it is the knife I reach for most often because it's pretty good at everything (cutting ability, ease of sharpening, food release, toughness), has a reassuring heft, and is affordable enough that I use it with impunity.

Masahiro's MV lines are often overlooked, but IMHO they would be a great choice worth considering for what you are looking for. The workhorse 147XX line is pretty close to the Masamoto VG (I've used both) for about half the price, or the lighter and thinner Masahiro MV Honyaki/MV-H 147XX/148XX is IMHO better than the Mac Pro for about $60 less. This route would give you some budget left over to get a sharpening kit (recommended), or for the full $200 budget maybe think of something like the Tojiro HSPS.

Get your stones as soon as you get your knife. Most knives come with a poor factory edge and need almost immediate sharpening.

With the knives purchased from JKI you can request initial sharpening, but I would still suggest having stones within 1-2 months. Easier to bring back the edge before it goes more dull anyways

Don't base your decision on how you think the wife and kids will treat the knife; they're going to be using your old beaters. This knife is just for you.

Have you consider travel to Korin since you near there, check out some knife and try out. For your choice, I think Misono molybdenum fit the bill too. I had use Masahiro MV but the plastic handle and Suisin Inox. Both of them are fine but Suisin handle needs a bit improve of the handle, the Masahiro knife a bit thick at the blade but for home use no problem. The Misono I ordered for a friend the handle and blade very comfortable a good deal, thin and sharp. Easy to sharpen.
Also order from Korin you can get Initial Sharpening.

If you're looking for stainless Misono consider the 440 series. A bit harder than the Moly.
But my suggestion about a carbon steel one has all to do with its very easy sharpening and great value. See the Misono Swedish Carbon as well. Once a patina has develloped care is the same as with stainless: clean as soon as possible, especially the edge

Suggestions based on knives I have:

Low end: Tojiro DP. One of the more recommended entry-level j-knives. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done.

Right at $200 USD: Tanaka Ginsan from K&S. I have both the older Nashiji and the newer, thinner Migaki, and prefer the Nashiji. The Tanaka is not the most expensive knife I own, nor is it the best cutter. However, it is the knife I reach for most often because it's pretty good at everything (cutting ability, ease of sharpening, food release, toughness), has a reassuring heft, and is affordable enough that I use it with impunity.

Thx for the suggestion ... I'll check out the Tanaka. A knife that's good all around is definitely what I'd want in my first j-knife.

Have you consider travel to Korin since you near there, check out some knife and try out. For your choice, I think Misono molybdenum fit the bill too. I had use Masahiro MV but the plastic handle and Suisin Inox. Both of them are fine but Suisin handle needs a bit improve of the handle, the Masahiro knife a bit thick at the blade but for home use no problem. The Misono I ordered for a friend the handle and blade very comfortable a good deal, thin and sharp. Easy to sharpen.
Also order from Korin you can get Initial Sharpening.

Great suggestion ... I actually have a trip to NYC coming up.

Masahiro's MV lines are often overlooked, but IMHO they would be a great choice worth considering for what you are looking for. The workhorse 147XX line is pretty close to the Masamoto VG (I've used both) for about half the price, or the lighter and thinner Masahiro MV Honyaki/MV-H 147XX/148XX is IMHO better than the Mac Pro for about $60 less. This route would give you some budget left over to get a sharpening kit (recommended), or for the full $200 budget maybe think of something like the Tojiro HSPS.

Thx for the suggestion ... will check out the Masahiro!

+1 for the Tanaka ginsan.

Also (like in another current thread was mentioned) JNS has a 15% discount on the wonderful Itinomonn (semi-)stainless and with free shipping it's right in your budget.

Both knives offer some of the very best performance you can get under 200$.

What Benuser said - Don't expect a more expensive knife to come with a better factory edge, unless you order Honbazuke.

For carbon I still can recommend the Goko/Kogetsu W#1 Nashiji, if you can become friends with the rustic looks. Has a stainless cladding so the blade face can't rust all over, and mine is still easy to make shaving on unloaded strops ... after not doing a base sharpening for half a year and frequently using it (just touchups on a belgian blue and paper stropping). And it's thin behind the edge without going into delicate laser territory.

Yes, I know, this one was hyped in 2014ish and not in 2017, so what :)

I second the motion to get sharpening material earlier on. No point in getting a great knife that you cannot sharpen.
Although admittedly going towards the 200 dollar mark will certainly get you better knives. Most in the 100 dollar range tend to be good...but still have some clear room for improvement. Maybe increase the budget? :) Or get a cheaper one now knowing you will invest in a better one later on.

Many thanks all for the great feedback.

Based on the suggestions, I went out and got a starter sharpening set and have been practicing on my current knives. Great recommendation! Working my way up the learning curve and a passable sharpener now. But glad I started before I take a new knife to the stones.

I read and learned more. Hit up MTC and Korin in NYC as tienowen and richard suggested. Ultimately I decided to follow Benuser's advice and "get a (clad) carbon". And Jovidah suggestion to up my budget lol.

Have something on the way ... :doublethumbsup:

Grats on your purchase. I know I'm late to the party, but as far as stainless goes, I have a Yoshikane SKD hammered stainless gyuto that I really enjoy. They're getting harder to find, which is driving up the price point I see, but I think it's a really fun knife to use that's also low maintenance. The cutting edge itself will patina a bit despite being a stainless variant, but it's not particularly reactive (and the rest of the knife won't patina at all).

Back