Quantcast
Introducing Japanese Knife Society - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Japanese Knife Society

Great, thanks Jon. I used to be a member of the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society, but this may almost be as good

Stefan

Jon, I've watched these videos a few time now and I am confused (a LOT) about the knives he is using. They are all Inox honyako knives, right? I swear all of the knives look like they are laminated... there is clearly a contrast between the metal toward the upper half of the blade road and the lower half of the blade road. But the Inox honyaki knives are monosteel, so I don't understand what is going on. Is this just an artifact of the way he sharpens the knives?

Sponsors
    yeah they are all inox honyaki... they are sharpened intentionally to look like kasumi knives... it was done just for fun

Okay, well that leads to the next obvious question... How was that pulled off???

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    Okay, well that leads to the next obvious question... How was that pulled off???
    carefully, would be my guess.

Sponsors
    a very talented sharpener and one of the guys i've spent time training with did that... the edge of those knives is hamaguri... he sharpened the top part of the bevel with a stone that gave that finish and the bottom with something that leaves a mirror finish.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    a very talented sharpener and one of the guys i've spent time training with did that... the edge of those knives is hamaguri... he sharpened the top part of the bevel with a stone that gave that finish and the bottom with something that leaves a mirror finish.
    That's what I figured but I wanted to confirm it. As a side note, I've been working a lot on getting that nice contrast on my kasumi knives, and I can get a pretty even finish and good contrast between hagane and jigane, but I can't really get it to POP like some of the pics I've seen from guys in Japan, like what was done on the knife in this video and how some of the Densyo knives are as well. Any advice? Maybe off topic here, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    That's what I figured but I wanted to confirm it. As a side note, I've been working a lot on getting that nice contrast on my kasumi knives, and I can get a pretty even finish and good contrast between hagane and jigane, but I can't really get it to POP like some of the pics I've seen from guys in Japan, like what was done on the knife in this video and how some of the Densyo knives are as well. Any advice? Maybe off topic here, sorry.
    i find that maruka and uchigomori fingerstones do the job very well.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    on stainless not so much
    i believe our friend Joe there has carbon single bevels.

+ Reply to Thread