How can polishing stones be used to achieve a mirror finish?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagrangeL2

Reaction score
Hi all,

I apologize if this has been asked and answered; posting after a very quick look on the sub-forum.

I've recently bought a Honyaki (Shiraki), and it came with a nice mirror finish. The problem is, it has some shallow(-ish) scratches that go from the heel to midway across the blade.

I've read on the forums that you can thin, then refinish the blade, using stones, sandpaper, and buffing compound.

I'm wondering if you can use some sort of stone combo (maybe a special nagura?) to achieve that level of mirror finish? Alternatively, would there be a way to use stones to directly buff/refinish out the scratches?

Thanks,

JJ

Check out Salty's video on you tube, he polishes one of his. Not with stones.

Salut LagrangeL2, maybe it could be helpful to show us a picture of the scratches.

If you are looking for this kind of mirror, I wouldn't bet on stones but on a progression of sandpaper, steel wool and cotton.
bild upload

But if you want to give an other character to your blade and show the hamon, stones and fingerstones are the way to go !
https://goo.gl/images/QAGHrA

I tried these edm-stones this week. Can recommend the orange ones from moldshoptools. Very efficient, they even handled elmax quickly. I go to 600 and then sandpaper with rubber backing for final strokes for a nice satin. Mirror is another thing, but these where really good to establish a base finish.

Thanks for the advice all.

Salty's was a solid buffing demo, but per nutmeg, I'll have to knuckle under with sand paper and lots-o-time.

I'll take a look at the stones Mr. RDal., I'd considered using a large Tsushima to start with, but ceramic may work better. After looking at m*ldsh*pt**ls, I now want to buy Cristone Stones, and try them on a metal handle or something.

Thanks for the advice all.

Salty's was a solid buffing demo, but per nutmeg, I'll have to knuckle under with sand paper and lots-o-time.

I don't know this Salty and what he uses but sand paper is quick and costs almost nothing: with one only sheet from 400, 600, 1200, 3000, 5000 I can do like 5 big yanagis.

I recently found that the most important is not to try to erase scratches after 1200 but to draw new ones, clean ones that look "simple".
The error I did was to rub very fast small sections like 5 cm or so. It gave like portions of circles, not straight lines and that made the surface look complicated.
The simplest way I found was to draw them parallel from handle to tip. One stroke, slowly, with pressure and only from handle to tip.
It's quite faster than one think because of the pressure. After that I use steel wool 000 and 0000 and a Dremel with cotton.

Actually if the surfaces you want to polish are not 100% flat the stones won't help you.
If the scratches are (almost) parallel to the edge and most important not deep, you should begin with a 3000-5000 grit or directly wool steel or you will ruin the existing mirror. Forget the stones.

I tried these edm-stones this week. Can recommend the orange ones from moldshoptools. Very efficient, they even handled elmax quickly. I go to 600 and then sandpaper with rubber backing for final strokes for a nice satin. Mirror is another thing, but these where really good to establish a base finish.

Robins right, these things cut like crazy. Got a set this week and tried them on an old nakiri.

IMG_1781.jpg

This is what it looked like before.

IMG_1678.jpg

removed big S grind

IMG_1783.jpg

This was done with the 180. Really a job for a belt grinder but this should give some idea of the cutting speed of these stones.
Just want to add , moldshoptools got my order on Monday and I got the stones on Wednesday. Cost $32.67 for the set.

Awesome Doug! Yea moldshoptools seem to be real good people.

any chance you kwon where to find those stones in Europe?

I received mine yesterday directly from moldshop - the shipping cost was OK. I guess I should have orgnized a group sale :) I got five of each 180, 320 and 600. Should be testing them today or tomorrow.

Back