Custom Order List is Officially Open

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
What's offered:

Stock Steels: 52100, A2, Pm#1, AEB-L

San Mai clad in stainless: 52100, A2, PM#1, PM#2 (carbon), Carbon (similar to White steel)

Integrals: 52100, A2, All San Mail Integrals from above, Damacsus (Devin Thomas, prepare to wait)

Damascus: Stainless and Carbon damascus from Devin Thomas Damascus (prepare to wait)

Geometries: True single bevel, convex, asymmetric convex, S grind, for left and right hand users

Types of Knives: Any knife, Japanese or Western, with wa or western handles, from 65mm to 350+mm. Lately I have been making scimitar, breaking knives, filleting knives.

Sayas: two-piece sayas carved and fitted to a knife, custom pins. Wood or leather.

Accessories: If time allows, I will make strops, knife holders and end grain cutting boards.

All my work is made by me, in my workshop in Fleetwood NY. If you are interested in a custom order, please send me an email with your request.

A limited number of ready made knives will be available through a couple of vendors. Those will be made to their preferences of type, steel, handles, etc.

Thank you!

Right now I have several san mai blanks in 52100, A2, PM stainless, Pm carbon, carbon and have several integrals in 52100. I forged these at a friends shop. In 2-3 months time I will be forging these in my own shop.

Damascus I will be sourcing from Devin Thomas in short term, until I am ready to product my own.

What kind of price for san mai knives

It will depend on geometry of a knife to a degree, but for instance, a 240mm gyuto, san mai with PM stainless (gets sharp as AEB-L, but holds edge better), S grind with AAAA grade wood handle will cost about $650.

I forge blanks to about 4mm on the spine, so with proper geometry, and distal taper, the knife will have a unique hand made feel, not to mention excellent cutting performance.

These only will be available as customs.

Can you talk more about the PM#2 (carbon) and Carbon (similar to White steel). With your HT, how do they compared to 52100 and A2 steel. What is the price for a 240mm gyuto 52100 integral?

PM 2 carbon is a tool steel with an incredible wear resistance, and ability to take a very keen edge, but needs to be sharpened on a diamond plate.

Carbon (also called Spicy White) is similar to Japanese White steel.

A2 is a great steel with a proper heat treatment! Without proper HT, it's too difficult to sharpen on water stones. Doesn't get as sharp as it can be.

Integrals are going to be priced higher than other types due to amount of work that goes into them - forging, grinding, finishing.

Also, the price of a knife would depend on geometry. I offer several geometries and they are priced differently, as every one requires a different amount of work. For instance, S grind is practically two geometries in one.

Please send me an inquiry and I will send you a formal quote. Thank you.

Do you have any San Mai blades that you have.finished into knives yet would like to see pictures

To make the calculation simpler, I price my work per mm on the edge. I usually make my knives 5mm or so longer than advertised. Wood and saya upgrades are extra.

My custom rate for monosteel (AEB-L, 52100, A2, W2) is $2.25/mm

The rate for san mai (stainless clad, all the steels) are $2.65/mm.

San mai integrals and mono integrals are $3.10/mm

Damascus (non integral) $4.50/mm

Damascus Integral $6/mm

The rates are for S grind. Convex grind price will be less.

Thanks,

Marko

To make the calculation simpler, I price my work per mm on the edge. I usually make my knives 5mm or so longer than advertised. Wood and saya upgrades are extra.

My custom rate for monosteel (AEB-L, 52100, A2, W2) is $2.25/mm

The rate for san mai (stainless clad, all the steels) are $2.65/mm.

San mai integrals and mono integrals are $3.10/mm

Damascus (non integral) $4.50/mm

Damascus Integral $6/mm

The rates are for S grind. Convex grind price will be less.

Thanks,

Marko

Very reasonable prices...thanks for the update!

I am trying to decide how to organize and run the custom order list. I tried this some years ago and failed, and I hope I have learned the lesson and will avoid past mistakes.

Until I get my workshop ready to forge stock, I will source steel from Devin. This would take time.

I don't have a lot of forged stock on hand at this moment, and I assume that most custom orders will involve forged stock. So, I came with a possible solution. If for instance somebody,wants a san mai integral with 52100 core (which I don't have at the moment), I will ask for a deposit for the blank, place an order with Devin and as soon as I have it in my possession, I will start working on it. If for some reason a customer changes his mind on a project before I start working on it, I will hand over the profiled and heat treated blank, and we call it even.

If a person want to order just a heat treated blank (forged or monosteel), and grind the knife himself or have another maker grind it, that's fine with me.

I feel that with a deposit for the blank, there is a bit more commitment from a customer, and less exposure on my part for the material cost and labor. I wold want to avoid deposits in any other sense, as many good knife makers got burned this way, and I am mindful of that.

So right now I have

san mai 52100 240mm gyuto
san mai spicy white 225mm gyuto
san mai A2 225mm gyuto, or longer suji
San mai PM1 (stainless) gyuto
San mai PM Caron suji (super wear resistant)
Monosteel Integral 52100 gyuto
Monosteel integral 52100 suji

With a deposit for a blank, we count it as a firm order, and I can work out a scheduling. Some steels from Devin will have weeks, some months, so it is better to plan in advance.

Along with the blanks, one can preorder wood. Same principle, if one changes his mind on the order, I will hand over wood and we call it even.

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you,

Marko

So right now I have

san mai 52100 240mm gyuto
san mai spicy white 225mm gyuto
san mai A2 225mm gyuto, or longer suji
San mai PM1 (stainless) gyuto
San mai PM Caron suji (super wear resistant)
Monosteel Integral 52100 gyuto
Monosteel integral 52100 suji

Sorry for being dumb, but is this list the forged stock you have available or the requests you've received? That spicy white 225 is tempting...

Thanks!

San Mai, spicy white SS clad, forged stock. S grind

sam mai3.jpg

san mai2.jpg

san mai.jpg

I have some blanks that I forged in February in a friend's shop. I am looking for a new shop now so I can set up my own forging. Until then I will source blanks from Devin.

Thanks,

Marko

All san mai forged blanks I have are bespoken. I could take custom orders for more, but these will have to be sourced from Devin, will take little time to get them.

I hope to have my own forging shop by the end of the year. Looking intensively for a new shop space, but where I am, finding 100-1500 sf shop in zoned for industrial use is not that easy.

Thanks,

Marko

May I get in line for a monosteel KS clone with your unique improvements?

Sweet sounding blade ... but Panda .... make sure you also talk to Marko about making an amazing handle. For you - I am guessing Mammoth tooth inlaid with gold on one side and then somthing prismatic with flashing LED's on the other ... finally a nice bright flamingo pink butt cap should do it!!! A maching saya is a must of course as nothing is "too blingy" for South Florida! :justkidding:

would it be possible to get a mono spicy white sourced from devin? differential heat treatment?
in your ks profile with s grind.

Sorry for the hi-jack ... just couldn't resist ... :razz:

Back