formal introductioon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wdestate

Reaction score
hi folks i joined this forum a few years ago and never posted and just have lurked. i am an avid collector of knives and much like everyone else here have far to many. I decided to post finally because i have reached out a few times to people either looking to buy or sell items and have only received a response once, so hopefully this gives me a bit more of a presence and a trustworthy feeling..ha

some background i live outside of boston where i am the exec.chef of a hospitality group, i have far to many gyutos like most and a mix of other stuff. here are some of my favorite honyaki's currently in use image by

i look forward to perhaps talking with some folks or buying/trading in the future

thanks,
Ben

Welcome.

I can't really tell what they are from the picture. You'll have to do the intros

all different makers. I have family in Japan so i have become friends with a wholesaler over there. A lot of the honyaki i get are unbranded (no kanji) but i can give a little on them also they are phone pics and im bad with a camera at that ha

From left to right
blue 2 honyaki sakai kikumori
white 2 honyaki unknown maker ( i bought it in japan on a visit from a shop)
blue 2 honyaki kenji togashi
white 2 honyaki yoshikazu ikeda
tamahagne honyaki yoshikazu ikeda
white 2 honyaki sakai masayuki
blue 2 honyaki konosuke

the handles are all done for Matt Delosso by the most part ( i have a hard time remebering at this point )

there is more... those are my favorites... my wife hates me

all different makers. I have family in Japan so i have become friends with a wholesaler over there. A lot of the honyaki i get are unbranded (no kanji) but i can give a little on them also they are phone pics and im bad with a camera at that ha

From left to right
blue 2 honyaki sakai kikumori
white 2 honyaki unknown maker ( i bought it in japan on a visit from a shop)
blue 2 honyaki kenji togashi
white 2 honyaki yoshikazu ikeda
tamahagne honyaki yoshikazu ikeda
white 2 honyaki sakai masayuki
blue 2 honyaki konosuke

the handles are all done for Matt Delosso by the most part ( i have a hard time remebering at this point )

Nice! I want to have a collection like this when I grow up....

Do you know who the smith is for the Kikumori?

We need a closer/better photo of the Ikeda tamahagane.

Also if you ever decide to sell the Masayuki, let me know.

Same goes for the Kono btw.

Welcome chef!!!!!Great collection!!!!! Just wonder how to get them!!!!!!hahahahahahah

one of the only knives i asked for the kanji.
also if anyone is unfamiliar with Ikeda try one of his knives... if you can get it ground by kasahara even better(much better).. i dont post often and dont want to ruffle feathers but i sold all my kato's and shigs after i started using Ikeda and Kasahara's knives blasphemy here i know!

I was recently lucky enough to score an Ikeda ground by Kasahara marketed in the US under the brand name Shigehiro. In the US the only source I could find apparently isn't selling them anymore. Got one one on BST. It is an stunningly superb knife in every sense. Absolutely perfect profile and no flat spot that I can find on the grind. An true pleasure to use and take to the stones. Would love to be able to get my hands on more of them. It's one of only three knives out of the box in permanent use in my rotation.

Nice! I want to have a collection like this when I grow up....

Do you know who the smith is for the Kikumori?

We need a closer/better photo of the Ikeda tamahagane.

Also if you ever decide to sell the Masayuki, let me know.

Same goes for the Kono btw.

Went back to make sure I was correct before I replied, the kikumori was forged by Shiraki

Went back to make sure I was correct before I replied, the kikumori was forged by Shiraki

Thanks for confirming

Brilliant set you have going here. Would love to see the rest.

Out of interest, which one do you find you most often reach for?

Welcome! Nice knives, hope they are users.

Lars

The Blacksmith(s) that Kikumori works with are Shiraki san and Y. Ikeda san. The latter has a 12 months lead time and Shirakisan.... no better these days. Not too many actively making honyaki(s) in Sakai

The Blacksmith(s) that Kikumori works with are Shiraki san and Y. Ikeda san. The latter has a 12 months lead time and Shirakisan.... no better these days. Not too many actively making honyaki(s) in Sakai

I get about 6 month wait times on most from Ikeda, however most of those are finished by kasahara not kikumori so that could be the difference in wait time. I currently am waiting on a blue 1 honyaki from ikeda with a 6 month wait time..now 5 month wait time..

Thanks for giving me something to show my wife when I need to get out of the doghouse.

Back