i just bought 2lbs of tripe.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
going to try cooking it for the first time.

going one of two ways. doing that Cantonese dish where it is braised in a soy based sauce with daikon

or..

going italian and cooking it sorta like a "noodle" braised in a tomato braised sauce.

both methods start with copious cleaning, and par-cooking i suppose.

any tips? i got the honeycomb tripe. i read there is fat to be removed..fat? where?

I tried my hand at an Italian tripe recipe last winter. I was kind of disappointed in my attempt because I have had tripe from an Italian restaurant that I like very much. Now I'm the type of person that will try most things multiple times before I make a full assessment on whether I like it or not. The smell was a little off-putting and let's face it, it's pretty ugly looking. Usually I don't let early failures deter me from trying again. Tripe, well it's a going to just have to be a one and done for me.

chinese style with daikon radish and chinese sauce! :D

i did it. it was great. i served it with a soft fried egg on top with parm cheese sprinkled on top. blew my wife away.
and toasted some great local bread.

not a dish I can do during a drought. i used up so much water washing the stuff..and i boiled it twice. the first two times just to insure it was clean.

i'll prob leave the mexican menudo to the pros. i can get a bowl for $8. i spent more than that in water. :)

For next time, there is a Portuguese method which is one of my all time favourite dishes. Their trick to get around an aspect of the smell and tenderising is to do a cleaning simmer in water with sliced lemons and oranges.

Then it's sausages, chicken, trotter, knuckles, bacon and beans and spices simmered and added at various stages with reserved broths from cooking stages added in. It's a fair bit of work but utterly delicious.

The other way I like is simpler in the provencale style with tomato, herbs, garlic and white wine

Back