Scissors...? Joyce Chen or Diawood Shears?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A colleague had some Chen's, they were pretty sick, real sturdy little buggers, get through pretty much anything. However, a touch small - the other day I was breaking down a particularly large Turbot, and I don't normally like using a saw for the spine, but the JC's would have stood no chance. Anyone got any experience with the diawood shears Maksim sells?
Or any other recommendations?
Cheers folks

The Kershaw taskmasters (made in Japan) are built like a tank and will devour your tough jobs. Comfortable and come apart for cleaning.

The Kershaw taskmasters (made in Japan) are built like a tank and will devour your tough jobs. Comfortable and come apart for cleaning.

My children once used "lost" the pair I have in the kitchen, I ordered another pair immediately. I found the original, now I have one for fine cutting task and one for workhorse snipping. Also, they can be adjusted for tightness and sharpened. They also have the infamous "chicken notch" too.

My children once used "lost" the pair I have in the kitchen, I ordered another pair immediately. I found the original, now I have one for fine cutting task and one for workhorse snipping. Also, they can be adjusted for tightness and sharpened. They also have the infamous "chicken notch" too.

Chicken notch? You mean the bottle opener? Or the jar opener? Or is there something unique about these?

I bought a pair of kitchen shears at Lakeland to break down lobster.
They have worked well and have cost me around 6 quid or so.

The only thing I like from Cutco happens to be their scissors. Absolutely amazing. Comfortable handles too.

Kershaw taskmasters do the trick. The handles on Joyce Chens "feel" kind of cheap.

cheers folks.
got myself a little trip to surgery, so some enforced time off work means won't be playing with any edged goods anytime soon...

Hope all will be good with the surgery. Say, if you have time off in London let me know. I have some spare time this week!

I have Diawood and they are great! The only remark is that they are just a little bit small.

Back