Munetoshi 180mm Nakiri's back in stock...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW also looking for an Itinomonn Nakiri whenever they come back in.

So when is that all encompassing nakiri review coming? After you get the Kato? I can see it:
"the ultimate guide for nakiri lovers" :groucho:

*Snort* Don't want to hijack a vendor's forum, but there's a few custom's I'd have to get before the ultimate guide comes out...

No no, you have to make two versions, the ultimate guide for ready made nakiris from Japanese makers and then go on the customs quest :wink:

Foody,

I have a 210 Toyama and yes, filling in the sizes (if that's what you're asking after) Damn that thing is a melon slayer!

In all seriousness - Love my Mune butcher knife so much I can't see what that master does with a Nakiri.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the two, I'm thinking of adding a nakiri and was deciding between the munetoshi and toyama

I really like my Munetoshi nakiri, its pretty awesome. Really good grind, a nice weight. Competes with the best in terms of cutting, I think, especially at the price.

I was comparing my kato with the pictures of the munetoshi and they appear very similar. I will compare my kato specs with the stated munetoshi specs and report back.

I was comparing my kato with the pictures of the munetoshi and they appear very similar. I will compare my kato specs with the stated munetoshi specs and report back.

Good luck!
They are totally different: i have them both
Kato is Kato, is more hefty
Though Mune is great for it's price.
Actually- Munetoshi is a great investment- it offers a lot for it's price.
But anyway- they are different, very different.
Btw- i prefer them over Shigefusa Kuro Nakiri. Not to say Shigefusa is bad, by far not, but both Mune and Kato are more robust.
Funny, but a cheap Mune doesn't feel that cheap when you cut with it.
After all i'm pretty sure you'll use it very often- because it's indestructible. The big difference between Kato and Mune in Kuroushi Nakiri is that the Mune is damn reactive in the beginning- you have to be patient building up a patina. Even through Kuro finish. But as soon as you have the patina- it rolls as crazy.
One more observation: Mune, in comparison to Kato, doesn't come " ready- toA shave" out of the box.
You should properly sharpen it, please invest some time. In comparison to Shigefusa both don't tend to chip that easily.
So- great knife for moderate price.

Kato nakiri specs - Karouchi finish.
7.5 oz with handle
178 mm usable blade length
52 mm tall at heel
5 mm spine at handle
2.2 spine in middle
1.8 spine at tip

Over all, not too far off mune specs. But it seems the kato is indeed a beefier knife overall.

Captain, would you mind sharing your impressions on the Munetoshi and Toyama 180 nakiris? You did such a great job comparing the gyutos from both makers that I couldn't help but ask :biggrin:. I'm looking for a 180 nakiri and those are my first options

BTW I ordered the Toyama 210 gyuto, haven't tested it yet... Some comments about wedging and a thicker tip on the Mune made me decide on the Toyama instead.

Back