Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henckels Twin Cermax?

I got a 7" (180 mm) Twin Cermax Santoku a few weeks ago from amazon for $130. Couldn't pass it up. I always do research on things I've already bought rather than on things I'm going to buy so right after this knife got here I started looking it up. The core steel is their M66, which I guess is proprietary, is (according to at least one reviewer) zdp-189. Whatever it is it is very hard. The OOTB sharpness is the best I've seen. The bevels are asymmetric (90-10 or 80-20, something like that) and this is a new thing for me. I think I like it.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

fine i bought the eBay knife. i think i'll like it. i've wanted a second stainless gyuto again (i just have the Hattori FH, at the moment). been thinking about another Akifusa, but this'll do.

The price for that was ridiculously cheap, I hope you like it. Not sure why but I keep thinking of getting one but never have and this thread is re-awakening my desire to get one

I have the 240mm gyuto, and must say, it's a great knife. The F&F is top notch, the handle is surprisingly comfy, the balance is well centered. The edge retention is almost unmatched, maybe second to honyakis only. The ZDP steel is a little chippy, maybe comparable to a Tojiro, but if used properly, its not much of a problem. Thinning directly behind edge is a chore, and the cladding is super soft and susceptible to scratching. Plus, I think Zwilling should etch the logos for the higher end knives; not a fan of the printed logo.

I honestly don't know a better value in a western, especially with the zdp steel....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    The core steel is their M66, which I guess is proprietary, is (according to at least one reviewer) zdp-189. Whatever it is it is very hard.
    There was someone on another forum that had a Japanese Zwilling representative verify that the core steel is ZDP-189 on the Twin Cermax and Miyabi 7000 lines. They've changed it on the Morimoto line to SG2.

i got the 240 Cermax gyuto today. it's pretty nice! a bit handle heavy, but not uncomfortable. came shaving sharp. nice fit and finish. unfortunately i'm selling this to a friend, otherwise i'd be happy to keep it.

Thanks for all the advice guys, unfortunately its made me even more confused

So veering off topic slightly if you were to buy a 270 gyuto that will last you a lifetime (budget not really an issue) what would you buy? My only request is a thin knife! And also that it will be used daily in a pro kitchen on poly boards (sorry guys i hope you can feel my pain, damn health inspectors grrr)

On another forum there is a Delbert Ealy 240 damascus in UK that has caught my eye as it is very thin and is near 270 in actual length. Any opinions there? Ooh im soo confused!

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by scott6452 View Post
    That happens around here all the time. You are not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by scott6452 View Post

So veering off topic slightly if you were to buy a 270 gyuto that will last you a lifetime (budget not really an issue) what would you buy? My only request is a thin knife! And also that it will be used daily in a pro kitchen on poly boards (sorry guys i hope you can feel my pain, damn health inspectors grrr)

On another forum there is a Delbert Ealy 240 damascus in UK that has caught my eye as it is very thin and is near 270 in actual length. Any opinions there? Ooh im soo confused!
    Hard to say. I might go with Salty's favorite, a 240 honyaki Masamoto. I think the Masamoto has the best profile for an all around knife that I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    ...the Masamoto has the best profile for an all around knife that I have ever seen.
    I have to agree with that but I might see if I could get one made out of some more wear resistant steel, if you really want it to last you a lifetime, lol.