Red?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I hope people like red.
I had set these aside early in the year and then literally tripped over them today getting something from storage. When I got these from Australia they were not fully dry. I cut a couple in half today and checked the moisture content. 12%, just about ready.

There are two different types of burl here. Red Morrel and Vasticola. Both are from Western Australia.
I had forgotten how red they are.

rm002.jpg

When are going for sale, I 100% want a block.

Are those natural reds? Pretty intense color...I would get some.

I LOVE Red Morrell! I want a block for sure! Those look natural to me :D

These are natural red coloring.
They are still rough and have a sealer coat on them.
When fine sanded and finished the coloring will range from light red to apple red and some burgundy. Often in the same piece.
The ones that show the yellow have a bit of sapwood.

A lot of people use this wood natural without stabilizing.
Me, I like the insurance that comes with stabilizing. I need the moisture level to be under 10% for stabilizing so it will be a few weeks before I send any in to be done. I might put some on the website and take some to the Boise show for people who prefer natural woods. I haven't made up my mind yet.

Something I like about having a subforum here is that I can post photos and random thoughts.
.....and you guys are polite enough to pretend like it is interesting.
Thanks

Ha! You know we love you Mark! Save me a piece of the stabilized stuff please :)

EVERYTHING in the Kimberley region of WA ends up red.

The soil is red, the dust is red and, eventually, even the white gum trees end up with a red tinge.

1028724-3x2-340x227.jpg

.....and you guys are polite enough to pretend like it is interesting.
Thanks

Anyone having to pretend this interesting stuff is totally in the wrong forum!
These blocks are just too cool. I am very happy these babies are still a few weeks away as my funds are in pretty much the same state :D

DarKHOeK

:coolsign::yeahthat:

Mark, They look great. Im gona want at least 1 or 2 of these!!

Are you going to split some of them into scales?

why must you cut all the sexy blonde sapwood off the blocks ? :)

I didn't cut the blocks or I would have left more sapwood.
These came from some friends in Western Australia with a small mill.

Here are some photos from when they were collecting the burl.
6.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

After that I had them cut blocks and send them because shipping from Australia is so darned expensive. I couldn't afford to have them send big slabs.

Littleroundman is correct about everything being red.
See the ground where he is cutting, red. That is a white t-shirt he is wearing, now red. (just teasing about the t-shirt)

Here is what he ended up with.
4.jpg

5.jpg

He must have a really heavy duty suspension in that old van because each slab is probably a couple hundred pounds.
This wood is very dense and heavy.

OHHH MY!!! Thats crazy.. Its gota be the COOLEST set of burl pics I have ever seen!!

Yeah, I gota have a couple pieces of that burl! I now have got tool envy by the way. That Chain saw is also quite impressive!

ar, ar. grab testicles. chainsaw envy.
I'm looking forward to seeing, and hopefully buying, after the blocks have been stabilized.

Oh no... a set of scales using that wood on my cleaver would look real nice...

Back