Yoshikane SKD and SLD want more information

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadboxhero

Reaction score
I've used these knives, very impressive.

Does any one have more information about them?

What type of SKD is used on the hammered line? SKD11? SKD12? what is the hardness? 64 HRC?

Also, for the SLD line, how do they get the Kurouchi with the damascus etch? I am puzzled. Also what type of SLD? SLD2? hardness? is it 62-63 HRC?

lastly, How do these steels compare to the Hitachi Paper steel knives, I almost can't tell, they all perform so good. Do we get more edge holding then super blue? is the census that the paper steels like Shriogami 1a and Aogami super just sharpen better?
how does it stack up? I can read the spec sheets and form some conclusions but real world use its more complex since the SKD/SLD yoshikane's sharpen so easy.

Any input is appreciated.

SKD = SKD12 = A2 = 1.2363
SLD = SKD11 = D2 = 1.2379
I wouldn't think too much about different steel types though, especially if you know you like a knfe as it is. There are so many great steel types suitable for kitchen knives, but it all depends on heat treatment, purpose and of course personal preference. Also the so called paper steels are nothing really special, they are just widely avaible in Japan in all kind of prelaminated forms hence the popularity.

While above re not getting overly concerned with steel types is in general sound advice I'm not sure it's as applicable in a discussion of stainless/semi-stainless.

I like stainless knives, both mono and stainless clad. SKD and SLD are among my favorites. Ginsanko is another. AEBL not so much
unless it's by a US based custom maker. (Devin, Marko, Del, Ian, Randy, and probably a couple I've skipped). Like what Jon/Ashai uses in the Ginga. Not a fan of VG-10 on it's best day. AUS-8 is a yawner.

For specific composition and comparative data I can only refer you to Gator's site. For anecdotal experience I like SKD a lot in clad knives, never seen it mono. I like SLD in mono, never seen it in clad. Yoshikane does SKD and SLD as well as anyone I've seen. The Yoshi "Zensho" knives that Maxim carried are among my favorite by any maker in any steel. Have a 210, lost a 240 in shipping accident. Had an SLD, kurochi (sp?) dammy K shaped that I liked a lot but parted with.

Compared to Ginsanko, for me the Ginsanko sharpens easier but perhaps not as finely. SKD seems to retain better. I own Ginsanko SB knives, don't know that SKD/SLD are used in SB. So if I'm shopping a new Yani - I'll be looking for Ginsanko among others. If shopping for a mid weight Gyuto then clad SKD (higher price) or clad Ginsanko (lower price) will merit consideration.

The steel type won't be the only factor considered but it will be on the list.

@daveb, you need to pick up a sukenari ginsanko and tell me all about it.

@OP you should try AS steel soon if you like semi, very different steel but I like AS for many of the same reasons I like semi.

@daveb, you need to pick up a sukenari ginsanko and tell me all about it.

@OP you should try AS steel soon if you like semi, very different steel but I like AS for many of the same reasons I like semi.

As soon as Capt Fickle buys one then tires of it and sells it to me, I'll write a report.

I've been thinking of buying a Yoshikane SLD santoku as well. If you don't mind the question; are there major downsides to SLD? Is it chippy, or problematic in other ways?

Still wonder if today's D2 types have any similarity to your daddy's D2 that has the reputation of "takes ages to take a lousy edge but keeps it forever" in outdoor knife circles...

Slightly tougher than well treated ginsanko and aebl. Much easier than vg10.

People notice these differences much more than I do, I suppose there's a difference. I don't mind sharpening Aebl, sld, yoshi skd they all feel like they take about the same time to sharpen give or take 20-30 strokes per stone, prefer ginsanko(generally speaking)heiji semistainless(maybe it's just really nice skd). To me I'd look for other differences in the knives I'm looking purchase besides the steel in these cases because the difference feels pretty trivial and other attributes mean more to me.

What really makes difference with D2 is what grain size comes out if the HT. In general S2 has rather large grain size with large carbides, what together with high wear resistance gives it that 'lousy long time lasting' edge. I would love to get my hands on the CPM D2 - that must be some awesome stuff :)

So it still is what one'd love in a veg and meat slicer, or a rough-prep petty, but absolutely wouldn't want in a chopper/push cutter?

Back