• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Nakiri 180mm+ Munetoshi, toyama, kochi...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trvn

Reaction score
Looking to add a nakiri to the mix, been most interested in the Munetoshi, Toyama, or Kochi's at 180mm, or possibly 210 for the Toyama. Let me know if you have one and are looking to sell.

The Toyama 210 is definitely worth considering if you like heavier knives. It can do everything that a 180 can but may feel less nimble. I personally prefer the 210 size over a 180, but I also like cleavers!

I would only add that difference between a 165 (ca 150g) and 180 (200g) nakiri is very significant. 210 will be a monster that will be hard to use for fast chopping and will probably require different cutting technique.

That is a good point Matus. If you were to compare nakiri to Gyuto sizes: generally

165 nakiri is similar to a 180 gyuto
180 nakiri is closer to a 220 gyuto
210 Nakiri us closer to a 270 Gyuto.

Best to buy a size that you are comfortable with!

Yeah I think the 180 would be about perfect. The 210 Toyama just sounds awesome though. I have a Shiro Kamo 240 k-tip that feels like a huge nakiri, it's awesome but I think it would be more wieldy if it was shorter.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lxhzvmga8xqnfkp/AABXzVuwPrzdHuVKmSlY9YqQa?dl=0

I also stumbled across some Wakui nakiri's that look nice, on Japan Messer Shop. I'm not sure they ship to US though, anyone know? When I made an account, the shipping country defaulted to Switzerland when I tried to select US. Emailed them but haven't heard back just yet.

I think maxim restocked a Munetoshi Nakiri 180 @ 114.00$. Not sure if it's OK to post others' stock on this subforum, but thought give a head's up.

Back