D. Martell Petties coming available - need your help!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

I'm just about to start making 4 - 160mm petties and I'm having a hard time deciding on what combos to make so here I am asking you what you want. :wink:

I know what woods I'm going to use, I've got spalted maple & yellow/brown/blue dyed box elder burl blocks set aside already.

What I'm trying to figure out is what steels to go with (carbon O1 or stainless CPM154), if I should go wa or western, and what bolster materials to use.

I'm thinking that maybe some of you might be interested in these knives, and if so you could claim them and then pick which combo best suits you prior to me guessing and doing what I think is best. If you help me I'll return the favor and reduce the costs by discounting each knife. See details below....

I want to start work on these knives immediately.... No wait time folks! :cool2:

Steel Choices

O1 - $299

CPM154 - $329

Handle Configuration Choices

Western (hidden tang only)

Wa Oval

Wa octagonal

Wood Choices

Spalted Maple

Yellow Dyed Box Elder Burl

Brown Dyed Box Elder Burl

Blue Dyed Box Elder Burl

Ferrule/Bolster Material Choices

Kingwood

Black Buffalo + $15

Blonde Buffalo + $20

*Note - if you have another wood type that you're thinking about please ask as I have many types of small cut off blocks and likely have what you're looking for.

Metal Spacers

- Nickel silver, copper, or G10 (in various thicknesses - mostly thin & various colors)

- Sorry no metal/horn combos as horn always shrinks and shows sharp edges of metal spacer.

Shipping

Included in USA only

Purchasing

Please contact through PM or email if interested in purchasing.
smile.gif

Thanks,
Dave

P1010001.JPG

Here's an example of an octagonal wa petty I made...

attachment.php

Here's an oval petty....
*Note - metal spacers against buffalo horn, this isn't available anymore

attachment.php

Here's two western handled petties...

attachment.php

attachment.php

What are the grinds like on these Dave?.

I do them just like I do a gyuto. Convex but two large grinds, the bevel on the bottom and flatter up near the spine, blended together.

You can sort of see the grind in this picture, the reflections....

attachment.php

Are they super thin behind the edge or a bit more robust? Debating one of these as really want a stainless petty the wife can use as well. She is hesitant going for carbon one

Are they super thin behind the edge or a bit more robust? Debating one of these as really want a stainless petty the wife can use as well. She is hesitant going for carbon one

As thin as I can make them at the edge, that's how I'd describe them. I could make it more robust if that's what's desired.

That maple looked killer and rightfully so that it was snatched up real fast.

I've already got the spalted maple handle cut to size and glued up with the ferrule. Likely grind the blade today.

I've already got the spalted maple handle cut to size and glued up with the ferrule. Likely grind the blade today.
Bang, Clap, Bang, Clap, Bang, Clap, Bang, Clap, Bang, Clap, Bang, Clap, Bang, Clap ........ that's me jumping up and down and clapping! :doublethumbsup::spin chair::bliss:

Bang, Clap, Bang, Clap, Bang, Clap, Bang, Clap, Bang, Clap, Bang, Clap, Bang, Clap ........ that's me jumping up and down and clapping! :doublethumbsup::spin chair::bliss:

Well then you'll be happy (er) to know that your knife has been ground AND the handle material has been mounted. Just a couple of days for tang sealing and I can shape the handle. :cool2:

So, who's next? :eek:vg:

Wow, fantastic looking knives!

OT: I live in Harrisburg, BTW. My wife's grandmother and aunt are in your neck of the woods. Her grandmother lives on Delta road.

The first petty is 95% complete. I just applied the first coat of oil to the handle. :)

Anyone else want one of these, I'm ready to start the next one? I personally think that the yellow is going to be the wood that pops. Every time I use this color it gets lots of nice comments, although no one seems to want to pick it pre-shaping, I guess it doesn't show well? :dontknow:

Yellow bow elder burl is spoken for. :)

So what we have left is the brown dyed box elder burl, which is no slouch. ;)

Wasn't sure if i should comment here in the Petty thread or the gallery thread... anyways that spalted maple turned out really nice, not sure if it's the lighting but I like how it sort of goes from lighter to darker towards the ferrule which then is black, it flows well.

Wasn't sure if i should comment here in the Petty thread or the gallery thread... anyways that spalted maple turned out really nice, not sure if it's the lighting but I like how it sort of goes from lighter to darker towards the ferrule which then is black, it flows well.

You have a good eye for the wood stuff, you know that? :)

Back