Knife chipping on waterstone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptPat

Reaction score
This weekend I thought I'd practice my sharpening skills using some less valuable kitchen knives--Cutco paring, a Zwillings paring, a no-name paring and a Forschner boning. I was using a King 800 and King 1200 which had been soaked overnight.

I experienced chipping (small nicks) in each blade except the Forschner. The Cutco had the most with about 6 nicks in a 3.5" blade. None of the blades had any knicks when I began. Both stones were smoothed with an Atoma 140 before I started, the stones were thoroughly rinsed before I started sharpening.

The good news is that save for the nicks each knife if considerably sharper. Now what could be causing that chipping?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

It is very important to rinse the stones thoroughly after flattening with a #140 Atoma, as loose diamonds may be caught in the stone and chip your edges as the diamonds in a #140 is both way larger than the grit in your stones and not breaking down in size. If you did rinse my next thought would be too acute edge and/ or too much pressure when sharpening. Another issue is if you apply pressure on the blade off the surface of the stone, the blade may bend over the edge of the stone causing it to chip. Finally the small chips might be "large" pieces of carbide caused by bad heat treat and forging that breaks off the edge. There is really no way to remedy this except maybe going all diamond whetstone to be able to grind the large carbides down rather than breaking them out of the edge.

Just my 2 Cents.

DarKHOeK

I don't think the chips are carbide sized, I regularly sharpen vg10 without issue s like this. Sounds to me like whither grit on your stones, or pressure was applied off-stone when sharpening and you hit the edge with the edge of the stone

Thanks, it may be resulting from pressure being applied when the blade was on the edge of the stone. I didn't ease the ease of the stones when I flattened them.

Used to happen to me all the time just make sure your hand is above the stone when applying pressure.

Latest posts

Back