Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading my hones.

Upgrading my hones.

I've been very cheap with my hones so far, My bevel setter has been a 1000/250 combi stone. Only use the 1000gt side. Muddy, quick, needs flatting every time I use it. Then a welsh slate razor hone, around 6000 grit, fast results with slurry and a nice hazy polish on water. From there I have been using a chinese 12K as a base for the 3 nagura stones from maxim.
    I just replaced my worn out 1K with a chosera 1K, old news to you guys I know. Problem is i'm now spoiled by the larger stones so i'm about to push the button on some more.
    This is my thinking, reliable fast non-dishing bevel setters. Followed by a much higher grit fast honing stone, followed by my nagura progression on the 12K, which brings the edge slowly to a burr less mirror. I'm looking at stones which only require a brief soak, or splash and go for convenience.

These are my thinkings

Bevel setting - Chosera 400, (first sharpenings) then 1000gt
    Fast polisher - Sigma select 6000gt
    I'm tempted to push the button on the 10K sigma too but they are pricey and I think I should stick to my principal of a slower polishing routine at the end for now. Fast and finisher? not sure they go together.

So has anyone tried the sigma on knives?

I think you should go for the Choseras. Just amazing stones and in my opinion the 1k is the weakest. Love my 3k but the 5k is also very fast and efficient. From that point I finish with chromium oxide on leather (with that I can split hairs; sharp enough for me), so I can't really give you advise how well this will work with your Nagura progression.

Sean, cheers. I initially thought to go for the chosera's. The chosera 1k is slower than my old muddy 1k but it leaves a nicer finish. Do you see any problem in going from 1K to 5K in the chosera line up?

Did you try my 400 and 1k choseras when I was down?
    I really like the 400 as a quick bevel setter and the 1k is a good though finish to jump to 5k in my experience.
    Loads less messy than king stones, fast and less prone to dishing
    Or you could go for a big dmt plate
    If the shipping/import on a gesshin stone from Jon isn't too high they get great reviews

Cheers Tom, I've looked long and hard at Jon's stones. I really like the look of the soakers. But I need a set that are nearly splash and go to start with as i'll use them on my stall as well. I might have to push the button on the chosera 400 and the 5K. 400 1000 5000 would be a nice compact basic package. Then I can takes things further with strop or 12K/nagura.

Jon has a 1k & 5k splash & go. I've got both, and they're both great stones. The 1k leaves a better finish than the Bester 1200 grit. The gesshin 5k also leaves a very nice finish, with a good "bitey" edge.

Thanks, do you find you can jump easily enough from 1K to 5K? I already have the 1K chosera.

Well, I don't have the chosera, but I have made the jump from both the 1k Gesshin and the 1.2k Bester to the Gesshin 5k with no problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbybrocks View Post
    Do you see any problem in going from 1K to 5K in the chosera line up?
    No, I think it would work very well. The Chosera 5k is very fast for its grit and leaves a nice toothy finish. Quite ideal for kitchen knives in my opinion.

I have no experience with Sigma products. However, if you want a non-dishing, fast bevel setter, you should consider a fine diamond plate. I'm going to phase out conventional coarse stones, myself. Any of the nice 1k stones will work with a nice 5k stone, as far as I know. Choseras are no exception.