Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpening - Sit or Stand

Sharpening - Sit or Stand

Hi Guys,

do you sit or stand during sharpening your knifes and why do you do it that way?

So far, I sharpend my knifes sitting. I would believe, standing gives you an advantage in positioning but so far the comfort aspect won with me.

I stand because I change my body positioning to give my arm a better range of motion.

I always stand

I stand because I sharpen at my kitchen sink.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

I stand because I sharpen at my kitchen sink. Besides it frees up my movement so I can use both arms and body to project force. Better control and less stress on my lower arms and hands.

DarKHOeK

I stand because I'm used to it that way, and because I rock back a bit to maintain my arm + hands at as steady angle when sharpening the back/left side of my knives.
    Len

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    "I stand because I change my body positioning to give my arm a better range of motion."

"I stand because I sharpen at my kitchen sink."

+1 to both quotes. I can't imagine being comfortable, or having the required mobility, sitting down to sharpen.

i stand. sitting felt funny to me when i tried it.

I've found its easier to hone larger knives standing for the range of movement required. So I just got into the routine and body memory of standing now. That and with a washbowl with a plank over it on the table I would have to hone with my hands up in the air if I was sitting down.

I sit. The only place I have room is at the kitchen table. And standing hurts my back.

-AJ