Sharpening - Sit or Stand

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanRogerPierce

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

do you sit or stand during sharpening your knifes and why do you do it that way?

So far, I sharpend my knifes sitting. I would believe, standing gives you an advantage in positioning but so far the comfort aspect won with me.

I stand because I change my body positioning to give my arm a better range of motion.

I stand because I sharpen at my kitchen sink. Besides it frees up my movement so I can use both arms and body to project force. Better control and less stress on my lower arms and hands.

DarKHOeK

I stand because I'm used to it that way, and because I rock back a bit to maintain my arm + hands at as steady angle when sharpening the back/left side of my knives.

"I stand because I change my body positioning to give my arm a better range of motion."

"I stand because I sharpen at my kitchen sink."

+1 to both quotes. I can't imagine being comfortable, or having the required mobility, sitting down to sharpen.

i stand. sitting felt funny to me when i tried it.

I've found its easier to hone larger knives standing for the range of movement required. So I just got into the routine and body memory of standing now. That and with a washbowl with a plank over it on the table I would have to hone with my hands up in the air if I was sitting down.:D

I sit. The only place I have room is at the kitchen table. And standing hurts my back.

-AJ

Standing tall like a man while sharpening is the only way for me. I think it gives me some more control and less stress on my back.

Standing.

But Dave sits, so apparently we are all doing it wrong.

Im the odd man out.. But thats nothing new.. :tooth:

I normally sit at the kitchen table to do my sharpening. But im still learning and trying different things.. The last knife I did standing near the sink.

I used to sit. But now I stand. It gives me better range of motion.

i stand...

as far as what i've seen in japan, its about a 50/50 split of sitting and standing. Some people do both (clearly not at the same time ;) )

Sitting.

Best to be comfortable when sharpening.

I sit if I can get away with it.. But most of the time I can't...

I didn't know sitting was an option! Hmmmmhhhhhh, this could be life-changing.

I literally was going to post this thread right now,
"I stand because I sharpen at my kitchen sink."
+1

I sit because I sharpen at my dining room table. I find it very easy and comfortable. Used to use an EP standing and found the action of using it very tiresome

I mostly sit. I purpose built a workbench 25 inches high so I could just barely get my legs under it when seated. This leaves the stone at my preferred belly button height. I occasionaionally stand when touching up on a sink bridge.

I think if you can stand for how ever long you sharpen then this is probably the best way to go for most people as it seems to offer the best stance options to get less wobble and more control. That said I sit myself because I started stone sharpening inside my sharpening truck and now I'm sort of locked into it.

Which ever way you go the big thing is getting the height correct - this makes such a huge difference to your results.

Back