Mizu Honyaki Santoku vs. Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboylim

Reaction score
So I hear that the Mizu Honyaki gyutos have a specific feel that give a liveliness to the blade feedback.

Does this apply to Santoku Mizu Honyaki?

The only real difference between a honyaki santoku and gyuto is the profile.

With the same steel the heat treatment would usually be basically the same as the gyuto, giving the same mechanical characteristics (hardness, toughness, etc).

With that said though, I don't really understand the appeal of a honyaki santoku.

With the same steel the heat treatment would usually be basically the same as the gyuto, giving the same mechanical characteristics (hardness, toughness, etc).

With that said though, I don't really understand the appeal of a honyaki santoku.

It's less expensive and possibly more available.

Although if you are going honyaki then price considerations are not the top of the list

Useful and thank you. Santoku would make a useful second honyaki as I've yet to see a shorter length Gyuto in Mizu Honyaki. Happy to be corrected.

Is this about the feel of different constructions? Like some people who like the feel of clad knives over mono blades or inverse? If the less hardened area makes the feel it would depend on the shape and area and structure of it. Then the feel would belong to a given knife.

The honyaki santoku I've seen by sukenari and mizuno tanrenjo are quite a bit less $ than the gyutos so I suppose a good way to experience a honyaki blade. I can't comment on how a honyaki santoku would compare to another blade construction method.

Mizuno gyuto Honyaki is tall.
Not that short, but very nice for vertical cutting and very thin over the edge

I agree its a nice way to try the steel but IMHO if you are going to do it, you might as well go all the way.

That knife is on my very short list, i've been marinating that idea for ages! Should just pull the trigger and be done with it... :spiteful:

Thought about going blue gyuto since I have a White 240mm kono.... also asking that it be thin, as thin as a Mizuno can get....

Then finding some nice bespoke pants for it! MAN... I can see it now! :scratchhead:

Back