Slicing meat with a crust

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemo

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only slicer is a carbonext 300 suji. It's an unspecified semi stainless tool steel (HRC about 60) which takes a reasonable edge in my fairly novice hands.

It's great on soft and uncooked protiens but it striggles when there is a crust on a roast and it loses it's keeness after carving a crusty roast.

I put a microbevel on it after the last roast (but haven't used it on a roast since).

I'm wondering what's the best knife or technique to use on a crusty roast? Do I need a harder steel ot a serrated knife or a technique adjustment or something else?

Thanks for yout insights.

Call me a cheater, but when the skin is really crispy (like pork crackling), i take it off and deal with it separately.
Makes thing easier, faster, don't have to struggle with a skidding knife and eff up your blades edge.

I would also stop at 1K and make sure its a burr-free toothy edge

I use my Tojiro bread knife. Have to have a reason for owning other than crusty bread, lol.

From the heel, a pull backwards to break through the crust, then 1 long push cut forward to complete the cut. Hate the sawing. It's not a piece of wood.

I keep a suji with a rougher edge (Green Aoto) for crusted meat. For brisket or other especially tough crusts, it's zoom zoom Cuisinart.

From the heel, a pull backwards to break through the crust, then 1 long push cut forward to complete the cut. Hate the sawing. It's not a piece of wood.

Hum, I'll have to give that a try too. I have always done it the other way round. Push then one long pull.

Latest posts

Back