Food recommendations in Bangkok?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomsdotcom

Reaction score
I arrived in Bangkok about a week ago and have mostly exhausted the food options around me in the Sathorn area. I know of what's listed in the guides and websites. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Im fine with making a day trip out of it but preferably not $$$ I could always be convinced to treat myself... also any chance at there being knife shops worth visiting? I figure it's a long long shot
Thanks guys,
>Kevin

I really like a place called Mango Tree. There is a couple of locations. Good authentic thai slightly westernized.

I also know there are quite a fee aussie chefs over there supposedly doing really good things. No idea on restaurant names sorry.

I really like a place called Mango Tree. There is a couple of locations. Good authentic thai slightly westernized.

I also know there are quite a fee aussie chefs over there supposedly doing really good things. No idea on restaurant names sorry.

Cool I'll check that out. I think you might be refrencing Nahm. I'm considering trying that place out, but it a little on the spendy side. But hey this is my first vacation in 5 or so years haha

But I guess it's only about 60 usd... my sense of pricing has been upended ever since I arrived here. When you can get a good bowl of noodles for under $1 it's hard not to think frugally

There is a cutlery shop in the mall out next to Chatuchak (mostly American tactical stuff) and a number of small stall kind of places selling Thai knives in most of the wet markets. If you have time, take a ride out to the cutlery village about 40 miles north of Bangkok. Just don't expect to find a secret cluster of master bladesmiths forging blades by hand that put the Japanese to shame. They make good working tools for the local market.

As for food, it is everywhere in town. Just live life a little more dangerously and try some of those off the wall places.

There's cutboy in Bangkok! You should really visit him. https://www.instagram.com/cutboy_knife/

Thanks for the reccomendation, I stopped there the other day. Super nice guy who let me test a bunch of knives. Might have sold me on a Shibata... was having problems with my credit card, so that kept me from buying it at the time. Now wondering if it's a sign I don't need more knives... nah!

If you have time, take a ride out to the cutlery village about 40 miles north of Bangkok. Just don't expect to find a secret cluster of master bladesmiths forging blades by hand that put the Japanese to shame. They make good working tools for the local market.

NS, could you be more specific about the name of the village, or what it's near?

Check out Mark Wiens on youtube. American living in Thailand. Lots of good info, also comes with a food blog.

Thanks for the reccomendation, I stopped there the other day. Super nice guy who let me test a bunch of knives. Might have sold me on a Shibata... was having problems with my credit card, so that kept me from buying it at the time. Now wondering if it's a sign I don't need more knives... nah!

Ya he's really nice and he has some nice knives in stock. He even started holding events inviting smiths from japan.

Ya he's really nice and he has some nice knives in stock. He even started holding events inviting smiths from japan.

Yeah I guess I just missed one! Got to see a few of the knives though. I think there was one were the saya was worth more than my car

Back