Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Induction cooktops - advice

Let's wait one or two years for an off brand copy to appear

So is there a common (commercial or domestic) model around that has real power control (not slow PWM), a persistent override switch for the overtemperature and no-pot detectors (and an induction "engine" that is electrically sturdy enough to deal with it), and maybe all-metal technology?

Before looking into an induction cook top, have you considered getting a hand held IR thermometer to better understand the thermal profile of your coil stove and how it affects your cookware? An IR thermometer has really improved the results of my cooking even on the coil stove I have to live with.

Induction cooktops - advice

Any induction hob is going to be better in every regard than your coil top. Is anyone questioning that? Plus, you can get a decent 1800W model for $60. Here's my advise, get the cheap model (as I have) and use it. Then think about buying a permanent drop in.

Secura 8100MC 1800W Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner, Gold https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045QEPYM..._YFK-ybTPJP0ZP
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Thanks for the responses.

To clarify, I was looking at induction cooktops to augment the coil stove. That is, use induction for things that require more precise temperature control, and the stove otherwise. I just can't seem to keep a consistent temperature on that stove for more than 5-10 minutes; it gets way too hot.

I'm starting a culinary course at the end of the month, so I've decided to wait and see if they have any portable induction cooktops that I can play around with. I'm looking forward to finally using a gas stove though -- I'm curious to know how great the difference is when it comes to temperature control. I'm hoping that experience will help me understand what role my equipment is really playing in all of this.

Anyhow, thanks again for the helpful information!

double post. sorry!

@Mucho Bocho you haven't handled some of the low end induction cookers if you think they are better than a coil top - multi-second pwm and faulty overtemp detection circuits that need resetting at random and and and...

Quote Originally Posted by jferreir View Post
    I'm looking forward to finally using a gas stove though -- I'm curious to know how great the difference is when it comes to temperature control. I'm hoping that experience will help me understand what role my equipment is really playing in all of this.
    A portable butane stove would give you a very good idea of what gas is all about. They're small, light, inexpensive and reliable. I use one for table-top shabu-shabu/sukiyaki. Nice for camping and power outages too.

Iwatani ZA-3HP 12,000BTU Burner

Anthony