Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Serial numbers, your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    True to all of the above. However, Pierre numbers his knives, and I like knowing that my knife is number 117 (I think hahaha). I'd say it's all up to the maker.
    I don't think numbers are necessary unless it is something really special like a maker's first knives. If someone wants to document a blade, Pierre also gives certificates with his knives. I kind of like that for custom work, like a title that can be passed on and lists the steel, hardness, handle wood, size etc.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Great point, K!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, Devin and Murray are the best US knifemakers. Neither puts numbers on their blades...
    Not quite accurate. My DT is numbered.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I might just grind something cryptic on the tang in case one of my knives is ever discovered in the tomb of a kitchen warrior
    It does seem Kitchen knives are more about what current makers are producing and the extremes they can go to with modern materials.
    What about old Kitchen knives, were they all truly awful? I suppose the steels that would interest us were more reserved for razors.

Good point, I think a little documentation is important. Even if its just a bit about what the knife is made of, some basic care instructions and your guarantee's of quality. Peace of mind to both parties. It would be much more subtle and practical to keep track of the knife number by certificate.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I don't think numbers are necessary unless it is something really special like a maker's first knives. If someone wants to document a blade, Pierre also gives certificates with his knives. I kind of like that for custom work, like a title that can be passed on and lists the steel, hardness, handle wood, size etc.

k.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbybrocks View Post
    Good point, I think a little documentation is important. Even if its just a bit about what the knife is made of, some basic care instructions and your guarantee's of quality. Peace of mind to both parties. It would be much more subtle and practical to keep track of the knife number by certificate.
    That would be cool. Maybe put something on there that can be read through the handle spectroscopically.

I find that a certificate is a nice touch, particularly when there are elements hand-written in. It just makes the whole experience a little more personal. As for the serial number... it doesn't add anything for me, even on a limited-run knife. Something unique about the run or the knife in particular might be appealing though, but that's likely to be something that pushes me over the edge rather than actually piques my interest in the first place.

Overall it seems like serials aren't a biggie for kitchen knife folks.
    Len

I like the Yr of manufacture idea personally but not so much a serial number unless it's a special run or new design.

+1 to the Birth/Authenticity Certificate instead of serial number. There you can give a serial number plus more info: steel, materials, construction date, etc.

Usually, with collectible items, the lower serial number, the more desirable it is. But in knife making, the more knives you make, the better you get at it, until you really dialed in, then you would plateau I imagine. But I would rather have knife #78 (or #131 or #492, etc) than knife #1. They are almost guaranteed to perform better, be finished better, made better. So the low number isn't that valuable to me. If after you had a reputation and wanted to do a limited run of some type of knife or construction or whatever, then the serial number would work better I think.

Plus I think too much text on a blade is unnecessary and clutters an otherwise clean look of just a name or logo.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Thanks Guys, certificate and just logo on the knives is what i'll do I think. i suppose most knives I would want to produce would be very limited or unique in any case and distinct by their materials. Nice engraving on the end cap could be worth a thought too.