Quantcast
Serial numbers, your thoughts
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serial numbers, your thoughts

Serial numbers, your thoughts

There seems to be many different approaches to serial numbers, from an exact and unique code for every single knife, to just numbering special editions and runs.
    I have ordered some serial stencils, starting 001. I was thinking at first to number each knife. Now i'm thinking marking the year it is made would perhaps be more useful and practical for all knives made.
    I think it might be nice to mark serial numbers for full damascus knives and give a small batch of special edition knives, (not necessarily the same type, but made together of similar pattern type and theme), the same number.
    So for full damascus knives, for examples sake, there could be 3 knives with the serial 001 of different types or sizes but produced at the same time in matching materials. 002 maybe just one knife that someone has ordered, 003 could be another matching set etc Each would also be marked with the year. What do you think? too complicated?
    The idea is not very humble and assumes that someone out there will be interested in what I produced X years ago, but i've found optimism essential in my lines of work.

I don't think they're necessary

+1

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Mmm it has been hurting my head ever since I ordered them. Its been hard enough working out a logo design.
    So the name, changes in design, subtle developments in style, should be enough to place a knife in a timezone for a certain maker if desired. Kitchen knife collectors buy knives that work and keep and use them, not as collectors pieces. I know there are exceptions but collecting by set and serial is not something that is generally done with kitchen knives?
    With razors I have been asked to use serial numbers but there is a much firmer association with antiquity in that market.
    But then none of my bought razors are serial numbered either. I could estimate when they were made by the factory in which they were produced, style and steel used, I have to admit though i'm more concerned with how they shave

I have not seen a single Bob Kramer knife (a hot collector's item) with a serial number

Kitchen knives are more likely to be used by the owners, than fighters, folders and whatnot collectors buy and never use.

Quality of knife (materials, workmanship, HT) and the its value (or how well value holds over time) is what going to make a knife appealing to a buyer (or not) in the long run.

M

Kramer was the main exception I was thinking about. Well that puts an end to the brain ache. I should be able to sell them to someone over here as no one seems to make good stencils in the uk.
    Cheers Fellas.

As far as I'm concerned, Devin and Murray are the best US knifemakers. Neither puts numbers on their blades and at least Murray seems to have a very high opinion of himself, lol. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a number on a high-end blade I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I have not seen a single Bob Kramer knife (a hot collector's item) with a serial number

Kitchen knives are more likely to be used by the owners, than fighters, folders and whatnot collectors buy and never use.

Quality of knife (materials, workmanship, HT) and the its value (or how well value holds over time) is what going to make a knife appealing to a buyer (or not) in the long run.

M

Collecting kitchen knives isn't like collecting guns or cars, its more like collecting paintbrushes.

True to all of the above. However, Pierre numbers his knives, and I like knowing that my knife is number 117 (I think hahaha). I'd say it's all up to the maker.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I have one request for #13 knife, thought no marking was OK.

M

+ Reply to Thread