Petty sizes...med or large?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After moving from a 240mm(yo) to a 270mm(wa) gyuto, I'm really liking the 270 much better. Now I'm looking at pettys and am having a hard time choosing between a 150 and a 210mm (I have a small parer that I like already). I'd use it as a line knife and for cleaning/slicing proteins/basically anything my 270 is awkward doing. Is this another case of "if in doubt, go big"?

dont forget about 180mm. i think it is the not as popular choice seeing as how everyone likes the 210mm (myself included) but 180mm is a great size. i find that 150mm is just a little short and i have limited use with a 210mm. something right between might be ideal unless the slicing you need to have done will benefit from that extra length.

the reason i bring this up is i did a lot of meat fabrication, mostly whole lamb, goat, pig, fish and also portioning/cleaning of ribeyes, strips, and tenderloins with a 150mm sakai takayuki grand cheff wa-petty. if it was 210mm i dont think it would have gotten the job done on all those whole animals but it cant slice. i would make your choice based on what you would like out of it. if you are cutting and not slicing proteins and doing a lot of fabrication, i would go with a 150mm or 180mm.

good luck

My 175mm petty is a true home all-around knife. Professionally, I think it could hang too. 180mm would be a nice size, especially if you already have a narrow 210mm gyuto.

Get a 210. It is a perfect size and shape for trimming meat and is also pretty versatile due to its length for other tasks.

The Hiromoto G3 is a nice 210. There is also a Tojiro DP 180. I bet Ashi Hamono would make a White#2 wa or yo in 180 or 210 if you asked them.

Does anyone have a pic of the two sizes side by side or perhaps in-hand? Or next to a 270mm gyuto? Since I can't actually hold them, I'm having a hard time visualizing the two.

No pics next to a 270 but in this thread here down the page a bit there's a couple of crappy pics next to my 240s. If you get a 210 there's no downside, you don't lose anything over a smaller knife

The first pic on that thread has -- in Yo-handled versions only -- a 270 gyuto right above a 210 suji. I like the look of stevenStefano's Sakai Yusuke 210mm though! My own 210mm suji is as easy to "point" -- at leas as agile -- as any of the shorter petties. It's only a little awkward for in-hand work, where I might still use a 4" parer or something even shorter on rare occasions. But the 210mm petty is as much used as a a bigger gyuto at this point (maybe because it's my best knife in "objective" terms so I'm still excited about it; but it has surprised me how often I use it. This is in a home-kitchen). I was on a similar journey through sizing as the OP. At least I ended up with the same "go big" thinking and have been happy with pulling the trigger on that. So yeah, a 270 gyuto and 210 petty. I have 240 surrounded.

Heya, a bit late but if you're still interested in seeing sizes:

270 DT ITK
210 Carter
180 Will Catcheside -Raisedbybrocks on the forum
150 japanese bought carbon
120 Me

Photo%2018-10-2011%2021%2006%2011.jpg

Photo%2018-10-2011%2021%2006%2030.jpg

I prefer 180 for smaller stuff, the 210 makes a better slicer but in most cases i'll grab a 270 if i have a lot of slicing to do

Ughh!..... every time I think I've got it nailed down, I second guess my decision on this.....perhaps I'll get both and just sell whichever I like less ;)

I have a 220 mm petty. It's awesome. I use it for nearly everything I don't use a 240+gyuto for.

I use a 210 petty as my main line knife, in a really confined space, on a board often crowded with resting proteins. Never once have I thought it too big. Any smaller and you would lose the draw action of a slicer, IMO....

Back