Thinning a Teruyasu Fujiwara

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!
Your Videos are great as usual ;)

Interesting progression. i will have to to the same with my Nashiji 180 Gyuto and 150 Petty.. Since the surface is the opposit of flat i have to get the big low grit guns first and give it a uniform flat surface.
i dondt have a 220grit stone but my Ai1000 should do.

That new stone is a real mudcannon ;) nice result.
Seeya, daniel

Thanks Daniel,

I did an enormous jump from King 800 to finisher for the cladding and polishing thinking I'll come back to the edge with some king Hyper and Aizu and Suita action. But I tested it and there is no need. Toothier than usual but still keen

Nice work Otto. That Honyama mud is insane - colour & quantity. Are you sure it's harmless?
Reminds me of:
6dcd8547c54fccbc180e2f21e619f3d6.jpg

His 180 gyuto is more or less a santoku in terms of profile.
Half the fun is the crapshoot of which flavour you're gonna get. And not matter how badly ground an example turns up the heat treat will be on point and steel will be crazy

Sounds like a good mini project knife for thinning/sharpening. Say, did you go for the western bolsterless nashiji direct from TF?

what's always kept me from actually getting a fujiwara is that it's stainless cladded, total deal breaker.

Agree in stainless cladding. It is making me consider a Munetoshi 210 Gyuto. Panda, any thoughts on the Munetoshi? I hear they have an uneven grind!

you dont have to worry about the uneven grind until youve sharpened it so many times that it needs major thinning (at which point all you have to do is thin the hell out of it so that the wide bevel becomes flat on both sides since you cant maintain the original grind because it is concave. out of the box, it's an awesome knife. plus it's cheap, just get one.

i have the 210 also (was one of the early adopters), and i rarely use it (because i don't like 210s) but still kept it. that should tell you something.

Very nice!
I thinned my TF nakiri recently. I started with Atoma 400. That was a pain. I should definitively buy a non-diamond coarse stone. I still do not know which one, though.
Great video, as usual. And very nice result, ... as usual.
:doublethumbsup:

Hi!

Yeah jumping from a around 1k to a 6-8k starting Jnat is no problem.
Exactly as you mentioned will you get a kind of polished saw thats toothy like the toothfairy.

I recently tried all my strange finisher Stuff on a totally dull vintage solingnen Carbon knife.. and ehh now its a razor ... really crazy how fast some stones still are.

Yep the 180mm Gyuto is more like a shovel ;)
very high for its length and my tallest Gyuto.. (yep i like it slim usually)

but good thread, because many have or will have TF and its a lot of Russian roulette if you get a decent grind or a drunken overgrind of doom.

Yep the 180mm Gyuto is more like a shovel ;)
very high for its length and my tallest Gyuto.. (yep i like it slim usually)

Great to hear they are tall. If you prefer shorter knives, I'd happily take the tall ones for you!

Hi!

Well thats the only one of this kind i Got. Only a Kotetsu Bunka and Ashi 260mm Kiritsuke are similar.
it will get a new handle and grind and will be a keeper because its kind of funny to use.
but thanks for the offer !

what's always kept me from actually getting a fujiwara is that it's stainless cladded, total deal breaker.

Does anyone know if his "Japanese Style" is also stainless clad? It's quite a bit cheaper. On the Nakiri page it seems to be just a choice between Western & J-handles that differentiate between Nashiji and Japanese style. But on the Santoku page, both have J-handles. :confused:

I wonder if he would take a request for a full carbon knife.

Does anyone know if his "Japanese Style" is also stainless clad? It's quite a bit cheaper. On the Nakiri page it seems to be just a choice between Western & J-handles that differentiate between Nashiji and Japanese style. But on the Santoku page, both have J-handles. :confused:

I wonder if he would take a request for a full carbon knife.

Unless I'm mistaken everything he does is stainless clad.

I think I've seen it somewhere, I forgot where, but...does TF laminate his stainless clad knives himself? Or does he buy the bars?

Back