buying goat meat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
i want to do a curry with some goat.

i once read somewhere that most of the world eats goat meat, just not so much here in the states. . the article also stated that goat meat is more environmentally friendly. and goats eat damn near everything and fart less. :)

whatever. back on track. goat curry.

i hit up my local mexican markets. they have goat galore, but it is just frozen mystery hunks. i got a piece, thawed it and it is clearly a rib rack. not my first choice for a braise. you have goat meat readily available?

when i was younger we bought a cute young goat to butcher. that thing was so friendly..it followed us around like a puppy. we couldn't do it and took it back to the farmer. he laughed at us. now? i think.. .22 to the noggin, knife to the jugular. curry time. :)

If you can get into Restaurant Depot you can buy a whole (less the insides and the outside) animal. I did this recently with a Muslim friend, took the animal apart and freezer packed it for meals.

If you would like to get into RD, you can join the Kansa City BBQ society, read about some good Q, and as a member perk get RD day passes. I think membership is about 30/yr

They have whole goats at the RD near me as well. Membership (free) requires only presenting a business license, if you have access to one.

Funny story about goat curry in New York. A few years back the late Bob Lum (custom knifemaker) his son, and I were doing the New York custom knife show in lower Manhattan. Bob and his son went out for lunch and came back with cartons of goat curry from a Chinese hole in the wall around the corner. For those that didn't know Bob, he was Chinese American from Astoria Oregon. A co-worker and I thought that looked good so we asked Bob where he got it and tried ordering there ourselves. No luck, they pretended to not know what we were talking about. I found out later that goat curry was banned on some city health reg.so they were working as kind of a speak easy.

"i want to do a curry with some goat. "

First read it as you, and some cantankerous and/or eccentric person, intending to cook some curry together.

"i want to do a curry with some goat. "

First read it as you, and some cantankerous and/or eccentric person, intending to cook some curry together.

:laugh: I had the same thought, but it was my second thought. My first was, "You're looking for a goat that cooks curries?"

If you are going to do goat curry.. will you be doing resto style pressure cook or rotisserie? I am based in Detroit with a very large Halal goat loving population and we have dozens of choices... in CA SalmonCreekRanch seems to be your only choice. No experience with them.

I will start more threads based on OP question: 1) pressure cooker for curry 2) Is Penzeys curry the most consistent available in CONUS 3) Why no discussion about preserved lemons and 4) Why isn't goat curry based on necks collagen then gelatin and ragu (meat sauce) and then recooked? (for special meals)?

Back