Knives & Stones Tanaka Ginsan - Lite

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
G'day friends. Giving you a heads up on the new release of the Tanaka Ginsan "Lite" version.

In essence, I am now selling the Tanaka Ginsan (and maybe others) without the K&S treatment (rounding spine, choil, initial sharpening etc); and will install a simpler version of my K&S handles which I call it the "Lite" version. With these changes, it enable me to sell these guys at a much lower price than the standard K&S version.

What is the K&S Lite handles?
Instead of using expensive ebony, I choose to use varies wood species such as rosewood, african wenge, and a few other types. I am trying to bring down the material cost of handles, hence the selling price of my knives. I am still in the research phase with no firm material / design yet, so I simply call these handles the "Lite" version. At this stage, the "Lite" handles are all made in-house with strict K&S standard,true buffalo horn (may change in the future), octagonal with proper taper. You won't be able to select which material handle you are getting but I can ensure that are all good stuff.

Why am I releasing the "Lite" version?
As some of you may notice, I am less active on forums these days and my email response time is dropping. This is due to the expansion of K&S into the Chinese market has took out much of my time, and I no longer feel like I have enough energy to polish the knives like I use to do. The logical step for me is to sell these knives as I receive them, but still give my customers a better than stock (everyone else) product. I also read that some of you are more than happy to do the rounding and easing of the sharp edges, and I am sure most of you have better sharpening skill than me anyway. Coincide with the new Lite handles, I decided to launch the "Lite" version of the highly popular Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji.

======
Use coupon LITE15 to receive $15 / knife discount to celebrate the launch ;)

Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji 210mm Gyuto Lite
Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji 210mm Gyuto Lite

Tanaka_Ginsanko_210mm_Gyuto_KNS_Lite__15472.1493297885.1280.1280.jpg

This is pretty cool, James.

Can someone comment on if these Tanaka Ginsan Nashiji are fairly symmetrical, or if they are clearly right biased?

Not everybody cares about buffalo horn, so if pakka or even plastic will do, why not?

Not everybody cares about buffalo horn, so if pakka or even plastic will do, why not?

I honestly wouldn't mind another cheaper ferrule as long as it's flush and clean. My biggest gripe with the stock Tanaka knives are the poor handles, and I quite like the lighter colour on these and contrast with the black. I'd like to see some other steels/shapes in the Lite.

I'd certainly find more value in octagonal+pakka than horn* :)

*I heard at least they eat the beasts, so they're not hunting them for the horn?

I am certainly looking into using wood as ferrule material. Traditionally, the use of ferrule is to somehow fix the wood tight so they don't split, but these days with glue and things like spacers being applied, it is probably OK to use (oily or stabilized) wood as ferrule .

Is it only Najishi, not migaki, James?

BTW, hndle looks really nice but I do like the K&S spine & choil treatment, so I'd probably miss that.

no migaki, only ever received one (the first) batch so far.

Those I've handled are symmetrical.

Thanks for the input Rick!

Got mine today (well, it got here 2 days ago but haven't been able to pick it up). Smoothest, most polished rosewood wa handle I've got. Needs a microbevel or a thicker primary bevel for initial sharpening edge stability. Thinness behind the edge is quite nice. Definitely a curvier gyuto

Back