Kochi 240mm migaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Customfan

Reaction score
Just pulled on a Kochi 240 migaki kiritsuke shaped gyuto for Jon at JKI..

Anyone have some some info/take on this line? :scratchhead:

It says they are more substantial but still thin behind the edge, comes with octagon burnt chestnut... :D

I was also looking ag the Gesshin kagekiyo 240mm white #2 gyuto, anyone tried these?

I think you will like it. The Kochi chestnut handles are very comfortable they round the edges a little. I have the rough clad kiritsuke it is tall & the tip is very useful.

I tested out a stainless clad k-tip 240 for a couple days before passing it off to a co-worker/friend. He is smitten with it. I liked it enough to try and track down a 270. Hopefully I will have a certain 270 migaki in the fairly near future. I really like the specs, workhorse heft, fairly tall and super thin behind the edge. I am really excited (especially seeing that great coil shot, tgfencer).

Customfan- Let us know how it works for you after you get to use it for a few days.

Cheers,
rj

Wow! I know people are keen on it, really need to try it out!

It looks soo nice, been looking at a couple of other two that thought might be worth trying:

The gengetsu 240MM stainless Clad White #2 Wa Gyuto
And the semi of the bunch, the Geshhi heiji 240 mm semi stainless wa gyuto...

Need to gets my hands on one of these babies!

Was gonna catch and release a Kagekiyo B1 270mm ktip. No chance. Too awesome.

Wow- Badgertooth, such a nice looking knife. Jon and Sara have an amazing selection of great knives. Just speaking for myself... I would really enjoy a video clip of this knife in action. Just saying. :)

I've owned multiple kochis and also a kagekiyo wh2 240mm Gyuto. I much preferred kochi, it just performs so well...thin but not wimpy feeling, with decent heft at the spine. I think you made the right decision.

I had a 270 kochi migaki a few years ago. I got it off Mert on bst, ended up trading it back to him as part payment for a custom.
It was 280 and tall, a lot of steel - iirc Mert had thinned it and put a bit of work into it.

In the end it was too big and too heavy for my liking.
I had no issues with the performance, from memory.

Recently got a Kochi Kiretseku shaped santoku from Jon. Quickly became my go-to for light meal prep. Love it!

Can anyone tell me about the cladding on these? Is it iron clad? Is it super reactive?

it is indeed iron clad... i'll let some of the end users here speak to reactivity though

My wife went and said some crazy thing about how i can get any knife i like so instead of buying the kochi im now on an ITK hunt :)

Kochi are excellent, still one of the best all around cutting knives I've ever used along with Watanabe and Toyama. (Customs not included).

To me Kochi hits a great blend of sturdy yet still very thin at and behind edge. Feel nimble still too. Watanabe feels more like a heavy weapon, cuts amazing but a distinctly heavier feel/hefty feel in hand to Kochi.

So in summary, Kochi's are excellent cutters and feel heavier and more stout than a laser and some thinner knives but less hefty than something like a Watanabe or a Kato.

I love my Kochi KU....

One thing folks should be aware of though.... the three Kochi lines (KU, stainless clad and Migaki) are not THAT similar.

From what I understand:

- KU: thinnest, steel is V2, wide bevel construction

- stainless - Blue No2 (iirc), a little thicker behind the edge, wide bevel construction

- Migaki - blue No2 (iirc), iron clad, thickest behind edge of the three, not wide bevel ....

I'd say that especially the KU and the Migaki are somewhat (very) different knives even though they have the same name ....

I love my Kochi KU....

One thing folks should be aware of though.... the three Kochi lines (KU, stainless clad and Migaki) are not THAT similar.

From what I understand:

- KU: thinnest, steel is V2, wide bevel construction

- stainless - Blue No2 (iirc), a little thicker behind the edge, wide bevel construction

- Migaki - blue No2 (iirc), iron clad, thickest behind edge of the three, not wide bevel ....

I'd say that especially the KU and the Migaki are somewhat (very) different knives even though they have the same name ....

not quite... the KU is V2, the stainless clad is white #2, and the migaki is blue #2... the rest is correct though

Haven't seen the steel disclosed before, Thanks Jon.

This thread has me thinking about Kochi again, I'm ready to buy a stainless clad k-tip the day I get a notification they're back in stock!

ive said it a few times on here FWIW

Not sure if that has been asked before....

But how would you compare the k-tip Migaki?

I do own the regular Kochi KU Gyuto and as a fan of K tip Gyutos I'm seriously considering getting the Migaki.... i keep telling myself it's a different knife to justify the purchase haha....

Would you call it an Allrounder bordering on Workhorse?

The ktip migaki looks really sweet. Jon, are the profiles the same between reg gyuto and k tip or are the k tip flatter with a lower tip? I can't really tell from photos and videos.

in the case of the migaki, its a little less tall and slightly flatter, but not so far off. Whereas the others are the same height, these ones keep coming out just the tiniest bit less tall. I would call them a workhorse in terms of cross sectional geometry, but its not as tough as something like the uraku due to being harder steel-wise. Make sense?

in the case of the migaki, its a little less tall and slightly flatter, but not so far off. Whereas the others are the same height, these ones keep coming out just the tiniest bit less tall. I would call them a workhorse in terms of cross sectional geometry, but its not as tough as something like the uraku due to being harder steel-wise. Make sense?
Yep. Thanks.

Kochi KU 240 owner, due to wonderful advice received on this forum.
Love it, use it every day, holds an edge forever.
Not too reactive in my eyes.
Love the thin edge.

Back