Question about Fujiwara Teruyasu Denka Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djmm

Reaction score
Hi guys
My first post wasn't published, second attempt in posting.

I am almost decided on getting a Teruyasu Denka gyuto (either 195mm or 210mm) but before I pull the trigger, I was just wondering if you guys could assist with my questions below as there seems to be not too many people discussing this knife.

- How high maintenance is this knife? If I just simply wash and dry everytime I finish using it without oiling it, will it develop rust?
- Can I use this to cut slightly harder items such as splitting apple core/seeds?
- I use rocking motion a lot. From picture this knife doesn't look so curved. Is this knife good for rocking style, also is 195mm to short for rocking style?
- Lastly what are the main differences between Denka and Maboroshi line, apart from one is AS and the other shirogami? In real life practice, is there any noticeable difference?

The cost of Denka gyuto is pretty much same as a Maboroshi gyuto + deba (almost double!) I am still not 100% in terms of price as AS steel can't be that much more/time consuming to make compared to shirogami? Where do you guys see the justification on the price?

Thanks guys

One thing to be aware of with TF knives .... if you can't pick one out in person, you're risking getting a lemon. TF is kind of known for being all over the place in terms of quality of knives, both with grind (overgrinds) as well as Fit and Finnish.

And that includes the Denka, even at that high price.

That being said: those who have a good one like it, as far as I know!

That being said: those who have a good one like it, as far as I know!

Yes we do :D

But I can't agree more. Nearly every TF I held or was presented in our little german forum (besides from my hand picked one from his store in Tokyo) had some serious issues (overgrinds, lamination flaws, very rough F&F etc.)

But if you get a good Denka... it's probably one of the best J-knives period IMHO

How easy to fix are such flaws? We're ordering direct, so this might be a lottery.

Cosmetic fit and finish is one thing but I dont really think overgrind is acceptable from someone who seems to be so proud of his knife making skills...

How easy to fix are such flaws? We're ordering direct, so this might be a lottery.

Depends. I think with major flaws you can of course claim a refund or something by the maker. But of course that's kind of annoying...

Man that would be a pain...
In regards to the other questions ie. Maintenance, cutting apple core, is this knife okay?
What made you chose this over the maboroshi?

Had the chance to compare Maboroshi and Denka (each 210 Gyutos) side by side. Primarily it was the steel. Maboroshi ist White No.1 which is really good to sharpen, but a little fragile in the TF. Of course being white steel, edge retention is not very good.

The Denka AS-like steel is still pretty good to sharpen, but way more stabile and edge retention is stellar. Cutting apple core should be ok with both of the knives if sharpened properly, but with the Denka you're more on the save side I guess.

For me... and I like the looks of the Denka more :D

I'll cut through Apple cores with any of my gyutos

How confident are you in potentially doing a lot of fixing up work? And how much time to you have for it?

As these are stainless clad blades, reactivity shouldn't be much of an issue

For fixing/sharpening I'll take it to Chef Armoury as those guys know what they're doing.
I don't see that much price difference between white/AS (ie: Carter), how come this one varies so much, is there something proprietary/out of ordinary that I am missing?

By the way do you guys oil your denka? Is it really a necessary step?

If you're going to rock chop with a TF you need to minimize any sideways torquing of the blade while your rocking or else it will chip on you with such a hard blade. And as others have stated already, paying that much for a knife you should be able to check it out first for flaws. Nearly impossible I know, but returning it post-purchase is a major PITA

I don't know if I'd recommend a TF to someone without fixing/sharpening experience. As for F&F assurance, you could always order from a vendor. It would be more expensive than ordering direct but I'd consider it a tax for customer service. Any vendor worth their salt should be able to send you detailed pictures of their stock so you can choose and take it back if there's something wrong.

What attracts you to a Denka so certainly? In that price range there are a ton of other options. I wonder if people on this forum who have owned a both a TF and other high-end knives compare them, like how it stacks up to other popular knives around that price range. Just a curiosity.

I just like the overall colour and the finger notch.
But if like you said I even need to be careful with the rocking motion, perhaps this knife is not really for me especially consideribg the price...

But if like you said I even need to be careful with the rocking motion, perhaps this knife is not really for me especially consideribg the price...

Most any knife with a hardness over ~60 HRc is going to chip if you walk it while you rock chop.

Have you considered using a different technique for mincing?

If that's all you can have someone make you a custom knife with the color and finger-rest.

I'd be cautious about the latter, btw. Unless you have fingers like a toddler, the notch is pretty much useless. At least on the TF I have. Others do that much better ....

Man glad I asked because that might not fit my finger either .. looks like I might have to post a new thread for knife recommenfation.

I am lucky to have a nicely finished Maboroshi without any grind issues and a comfortable finger rest :). I totally agree with others here though, another knife might be more suitable for your cutting style and a denka is quite a gamble, especially considering the hefty price tag.

Pop in at James at Knives & Stones showroom and take an apple. He has some magnificent knives and I wonder if there isn't a Tanaka or a Sakai Jikko with your name on it.

You can order them directly without the finger rest as well.

The finger notch looks nice, but having owned an early version of Global G2 with the notch, it isn't very helpful, or comfortable and may cause accidents as well.
My second global G2, many years later, without it was feeling much much better, and people that owned both, agreed

The finger notch looks nice, but having owned an early version of Global G2 with the notch, it isn't very helpful, or comfortable and may cause accidents as well.
My second global G2, many years later, without it was feeling much much better, and people that owned both, agreed

depends on how you grip and your finger size and hand size, for my asian hand it fits like a charm :D

Latest posts

Back