Gluing jnat to wood door dummies

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikaelsan

Reaction score
Hello kkf, I've got me a thin jnat that is on the thin side, sold as 15mm, and I'm thinking about mounting it to a wooden base.
It may be mostly insecurity about it, because I don't want to damage the stone.
wondering about stuff like if it matters what kind of glue I should use, and if I should flatten the back of the stone first, or borrow a chisel and see if I can hollow the wood a little.

Do any of you have any advise on the matter or good links for this subject in general, or am I over thinking it?

There's also a sticky thread by Dave in the Tutorials and Useful Info section at the top of the sharpening home page

sorry for the misleading title used swipe on the phone :) thanks both, don't know how i missed that tutorial from here when i used the search function

sorry for the misleading title used swipe on the phone :) thanks both, don't know how i missed that tutorial from here when i used the search function

Hey when I search for Toyama I don't get any results on my phone... so you never know haha :)

I use silicone mass - the same you use in bathrooms and around a kitchen sink. It make an extremely strong bond but still the material is soft and rubbery when dry so it doesn't but strain on the stone :)

I use silicone mass - the same you use in bathrooms and around a kitchen sink. It make an extremely strong bond but still the material is soft and rubbery when dry so it doesn't but strain on the stone :)

That's a great idea, I'll try it.

followup - thanks all =) ended up going to the store for a waterproof epoxy, and came out with silicon mass instead, i really like the thought that you can remove it again fairly easily if you have to and that i did not have to flatten it beforehand =)

IMG_20170506_141943.jpg

Thanks its a Aiiwatani koppa sized stone, it's fairly short but wide. From maxim/japanesenaturalstones, a lvl 3.0 from his standards. Quite happy with it too so far :) just need to get a little better at using it

Back