Anybody used Dalstrong?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefs-edge

Reaction score
Hi I'm a new user, I'm glad to find a forum to discuss my growing obsession.

I've been tempted by the Dalstrong Shogun Series X Chef knife for sometime now. For the money the look of this knife looks excellent but when something seems too good to be true....

I'm aware they manufacture them in China but i can look past this. Any Chef's out there of heavy home users got anything to say on this brand or particular knife?

Thanks all.

No personal experience here (haven't even heard of them before). But looks remarkably like a VG-10 core damascus-clad Shun with a Japanese profile vs the large belly Shun uses in theirs. For the same money (or less) I suspect many here would recommend some of the more entry-grade Japanese gyutos, like Tojiros, etc.

Honest opinion?
Wonky profile, cheesy looking lhandle, name contains the word "shogun" and the letter "X" (only acceptable when preceded by the word Cowry), made in China.
4 strikes.
Oh, and welcome to the forums.

A certain youtuber, which is controversial here, discusses Dalstrong to death in his videos :) Just filter presented fact from presented opinion...

Gyuto?! The 8" chef as presented on the website looks too german for me, and I'm german. 8-12dps? Eight on a general purpose knife with a rocking profile? If I wanted eight on VG10 I'd go get a Takamura VG10...

They followed me on Instagram, then unfollowed me, then refollowed me again to try and get my attention I guess lol. Does not appeal to me at all

Yeah.... funny isn't it? I have a new "knife related" follower (mostly vendors) every week. And i don't even post any knife (or food pics for that matter) AT ALL!

Yeah I've seen his videos he's a bit fixated on them.

That's a really good point on the fine edge degree on a rocking profile knife. I wonder how long that would last...

I have a few Gyutos and want to add something with a larger heel into my roster. It seem's theres a lot of prejudice against this brand here. I'm tempted to take a punt on it but will read these forums further and see what people are liking.

Yeah I've seen his videos he's a bit fixated on them.

That's a really good point on the fine edge degree on a rocking profile knife. I wonder how long that would last...

I have a few Gyutos and want to add something with a larger heel into my roster. It seem's theres a lot of prejudice against this brand here. I'm tempted to take a punt on it but will read these forums further and see what people are liking.

Before your post we never even discussed this brand, and for good reason. The comments are not based on prejudice, just preference and knowledge. For the same money there are far better options... Fill out the questioner and you will get them.

Questioner?

A couple of negative comment's may not be a "lot'' but they're not based on actual experience so that is prejudice. I was hoping to get some opinions based on hands on experience with the knife or brand.

I know the knife is made in China and made in Japan is better. The profile and how the handle look are completely subjective and down to preference.

Please for the money tell me what you think is a better option?

Questioner?

A couple of negative comment's may not be a "lot'' but they're not based on actual experience so that is prejudice. I was hoping to get some opinions based on hands on experience with the knife or brand.

I know the knife is made in China and made in Japan is better. The profile and how the handle look are completely subjective and down to preference.

Please for the money tell me what you think is a better option?

Here is the Questioner:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...hich-Knife-Should-I-Buy-quot-Questionnaire-v2

And I've never made love to a cheese grater, but I can assure you I would not enjoy the act... Is that prejudice?

people not voluntarily spending their own hard earned money on something perceived to most likely not be worth their money = prejudice?
That doesn't sound unreasonable...

people not voluntarily spending their own hard earned money on something perceived to most likely not be worth their money = prejudice?
That doesn't sound unreasonable...

People not wanting to spend their own hard earned money on something they think is not worth it, Absolutely fine.

People offering up negetive opinions based on no actual hands on experience is the definition of prejudice.

Questionnaire

image.jpeg

Never said he shouldn't get the knife. Many said they would not get the knife at the price asked, some explained why. Might be prejudice, experience, most likely prejudice based on experience ;)

I'm not sure I need to actually have it in my hands to know I am not interested in it. I see enough there to know that, for the money, I would spend elsewhere. But there are some forum members here who like buying knives like this and trying them out so they can give their thoughts.

Let's face it, there are dozens (probably hundreds) of accessible kitchen knife manufacturers, so a lot have not been tried by forum members.

@WildBoar Oh, I tend to try out whatever is really cheaply available - too much. Even a $5 knife you eventually pay with sharpening time and orderly-storage capacity :)

Dismissing "trusting your experience" and "trusting statistics when a goal is to be achieved" (As in, "seen/handled product looking/advertised like this, they weren't great, and now it doesn't matter if this one is great because buying it is more likely to be a disappointment than a good spend, unless someone proves me wrong") as prejudice has crept in as a social norm a little too much... and that is taken advantage of in interesting places.... can, worms etc....

People not wanting to spend their own hard earned money on something they think is not worth it, Absolutely fine.

People offering up negetive opinions based on no actual hands on experience is the definition of prejudice.

Unless it involves calipers or hardness testers, everything on here is anecdotal. Most here offering opinions have a wide breadth of experience with many, many knives. Most here cite the basis of their opinion when offering it. You are free to do with those opinions as you will. To disparage those opinions is bad form.

Since you're in the UK, the options are a bit limited, unless you don't mind paying hefty import tax / VAT.
Similar knives to the ones you've asked about (VG-10 core steel @60HRC, damascus clad)
- Tsuki (You can find them at Nisbets.)
- Eden Damascus (You can find them at knivesandtools.)
What i would do (and have done a bit more than 4 years ago), have a look at the Tojiro DP (VG-10 core steel @60HRC, but without the bling, but at least it's been made in Japan.). My go to knives ever since i have bought them. You can get a 240mm gyuto for 70 quid.
If you really want a damascus clad knife what performs well, then you have to shell out more money than the Dalstrong cost. (There are a few good European vendors, if you want to do so.)

Back