Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me choose..Masamoto KS or Konosuke HD?

Help me choose..Masamoto KS or Konosuke HD?

Ok..I'm looking for a new Gyuto and have narrowed the choices to
    Masamoto KS Wa 240mm-Salty gave it a glowing review(KS vs Honyaki)
    Konosule HD Wa 240-many glowing reviews on this and other knife forums.

Pros for me-Masamoto-Salty really likes it and I trust his opinion very much-within my budget=$250.-$350 all in(taxes,duty.shipping)

Kono HD-Tons of great reviews,I can pick it up from a local merchant(big + for me),within my budget(taxes,no duty,no shipping no worries)

Right now I'm using a Moritaka 240mm AS #2 blue,good knife but now it's time to upgrade(new steel,different profile)

I work in a high volume production kitchen(catering) so 240mm is the perfect size for me.

Thanks in advance

Peter.

I don't think you could really go wrong here. Masamotos run flatter in profile and are more pointed. The HD is less reactive and the fit and finish really cannot be improved upon significantly. I might go with a Masamoto (esp since I don't have one yet.).

I don't have a Kono but I have the stainless Mizuno which I suspect is similar. (or the same) The Miz is fairly flexible where the Masamoto is not despite it's profile and thinness. If someone with the Kono could chime in on flexibility?

I really like the profile on my KS but I think the HD might get my nod in terms of more versatile shape.
    It's hard for me to vote against SS lately, especially for work. The HD sharpens up Damn easy too.
    My KS runs 250 while the Konosuke is about 233 edge length.
    I really think It's a tough call but at least you know whichever you choose you're getting an awesome knife.

If your local merchant is a little guy like JKI, I'd buy from them just to support a local business.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I spent a few months trying to decide between the two, and ultimately picked the KS based on its flatter profile, its steel, and the fact that most reviews I'd read said it was a little bit thicker than the HD.

As others have said though, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I believe the KonHD is thinner at butt end and similar in thickness at the tip. Because the Masamotos are pointier, they tend to be a little more flexible right by the tip but less flexible overall. Nevertheless, I think the "lasers" in general are stiff enough for any purpose in the kitchen. I'm comparing to the 270 HD, fyi. It's just over 260 mm on the edge.

"If your local merchant is a little guy like JKI, I'd buy from them just to support a local business."
    They are a "little guy"(Tosho Knife Arts) so that just might be the deciding factor for me.I always try to support local merchants when I can and I'm a little leery about cross border shipping(tariffs,delays etc).
    I just noticed another local merchant(and friend of mine) carries the Masamoto VG series,so I might ask if he can order me in the KS with his next shipment,with a nice discount of course.

Who knows..maybe I'll get both.
    Thanks again for the excellent advice.

Cheers
    PK

I'd just get it from wherever is handiest. I have the Masamoto and am gonna buy a Konosuke so you can't go wrong with either

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    Who knows..maybe I'll get both.
    I think you just solved your problem