Walnut Unicorn

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Loftis

KKF Vendor
Reaction score
This is another, "One of a kind" post. I have a number of walnut furniture commissions right now, one of which is to make a walnut headboard out of a $2,000 slab of black walnut. This guy is 46" wide at the widest, 30" wide at the narrowest, and a full 3" thick. It weighed over 300 lbs. Green tape measure on the slab to give a sense of scale.
IMG_4411.JPG

I had an 18" offcut from the slab... so what's a butcher block maker to do???
IMG_4462.JPG

This butcher block measures almost 20" deep by 26.5" wide. It is comprised of only 7 strips of wood that run the entire length of the butcher block. Each strip is about 2 3/4" wide. Gorgeous unsteamed walnut. Tiny bit of cracking in the center of the board that I filled with black resin. This is not terribly unusual for a really thick slab of hardwood. I'd normally remove sections like that but in this case, when faced with a gorgeous 30" wide slab... not gonna chop that guy up. We will call it a design feature and move on. :biggrin:

[/ATTACH]IMG_4478.JPGIMG_4479.JPGIMG_4480.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4411.JPG
    IMG_4411.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 382
That is beautiful. The main question is it for sale :doublethumbsup:

Hmmm, that one may just have too many glue joints. :justkidding:

There's a pub in Seattle called Third Place that has old-growth fir slabs as tables and even as wall paneling. The wood is vertical grain, single slab, and nearly knot-free. All about 3-4" thick (even the floating-mount wall panels). Very striking. I have no idea what it cost and know better than to ask. Sorry for the poor quality Yelp pics.

Attachments

• Third Place Pub 1.jpg
    Third Place Pub 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Third Place Pub 2.jpg
    Third Place Pub 2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Third Place Pub 3.jpg
    Third Place Pub 3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 43
Back