Carter with a Notch

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score
I was thinking of mounting this handle so there is an exposed machi notch like Konosuke does. I really like the look what do you guys think

IMG_0433.jpg

Wasn't there a thread about why this part is exposed on some knives and not others? I guess it makes the knife look a little different since I doubt anyone else has thought of doing this on a Carter

Excellent work! I did the same thing with my Carter funayuki, left a small machi. I wasn't sure about it at the time and today I wish I hadn't, so it's worth making up your mind before the epoxy comes out...

Stefan

I love the handle, but the gap makes it look unfinished to me.

Beautiful handle
but...... I like it better without the gap.

Great handle, Mike!
I'm gonna go against the grain and say, go with the machi, but only if you're 100% sure you want it that way.
Very cool thinking. I love how you don't always "follow the rules". In my opinion, the greats rarely do.

Great looking handle.
I find the notch hard to ignore when using a knife and your thumb running over it. As a rule, I have machi flush against the handle. I corrected a couple of Konosuke that I rehandled.

To go a little further, I would say that sometimes it appears as a skipped step in a knife-making process (squaring machi) than a style or a regional feature. You can tell it from how evenly the machi has been shaped or squared.

M

Actually, I kinda like it.

You just have to decide for yourself if you like it :)

i owned a Konosuke with a very pronounced gap. didn't bother me at all. the edges had all been nicely broken, so it wasn't uncomfortable.

I like it with out a gap.....Great job on the handle:thumbsup: Is that another bone ferrule,cuz I love it.

Nice job! I have a slight preference for no gap but I don't mind them.

Love the handle, don't love the gap. But hey, it's not my knife, whatever suits you!

Close call but I prefer no gap.
Great looking handle!

Glen

One of my watanabe's ( maybe more then one?) came like that, so I guess it's not a "no no " in the J knife world? I for one don'nt like it back then. Yours looks good, give us a update after you use it a bit, I think I reamember not likeing the way it felt on my 1st finger. Again looks pro & great handle.

I think the blade and handle looks so harmonic together so I would close the gap.

DarKHOeK

Finally got around to mounting this thing, I decided to go with a small notch. I was hoping this handle would resemble its big brother? Thanks guys for the input and kind words

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

Very cool, the small notch works much better!

Finally got around to mounting this thing, I decided to go with a small notch. I was hoping this handle would resemble its big brother? Thanks guys for the input and kind words

You have too many. Can I have one?

Latest posts

Back