Quantcast
"Ergonomic" Designs?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Ergonomic" Designs?

"Ergonomic" Designs?

Hiya Kitchen Knife Forums!

I've been thinking about some wonky knife designs lately. I'm working on my first knife right now, which is pretty standard, but then I've been looking into strange ideas lately.

Here is one of them. The knife handle is angled downward.

http://www.ergochef.com/ErgoEngineering.asp

It seems like a good idea to me, because my hand normally rests like that at cutting board height. What do you experts say? Would you like a handle like so?

I don't have nearly enough cooking experience to determine how useful it would be.

just my opinion:

this looks comfy if you hold strictly on the handle, but I feel many here (or at least myself) use a pinch grip above or around the heel. At that point your handle would impede the movements of my forearm and actually become a distraction. Having never used something like this my opinion is just from the looks.

I'm sure others will chime in with there thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by jm2hill View Post
    just my opinion:

this looks comfy if you hold strictly on the handle, but I feel many here (or at least myself) use a pinch grip above or around the heel. At that point your handle would impede the movements of my forearm and actually become a distraction. Having never used something like this my opinion is just from the looks.

I'm sure others will chime in with there thoughts!
    Yeah I think so too. If you are just holding onto the handle it may be ok but I don't think a lot of people here do the 'hammer grip'. Most of use will at some point have our fingers on the blade itself, weather it's pinching or finger pointing etc. That looks like it will kinda put some stress on the wrist and not comfy at IMHO.

For me, that is completely backwards. I prefer the handle to be angled away from the cutting board when the knife is in use, not towards it.

I know it kinda sucks from a knife makers standpoint that simpler handle designs work the best, tough to make something that is uniquely yours.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

The "Earth Shoes" of cutlery.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Built for rocking.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

As I'm learning how to make knives, I'm also learning about cooking technique...

I heard about the pinch grip, but I finally looked into it and found out the pinch was actually on the blade (and not on, say, the bolster area or something). Good thing to learn, it actually made sense when I tried it.

haha, I checked out the web site for ghits and srins, and it's from the maker of Guy's Knuckle Sandwich knives

Read further about the carpal tunnel. It's one of the reasons I use wa handles almost exclusively. I've found after suffering from carpal tunnel over the last 10 years that technique plays more a role than anything. Practically everything I do with a knife has been altered due to CT. It may look odd but there is a reason I control and hold a knife differently than most.

Also to be honest I think the rocking motion is hard on the wrist. One of the reasons I keep rocking to a minimum.

Can I ask what makes a wa handle so special? I've never been able to try one yet, and I've only been exposed to factory german type handles so far.

What are the big differences when you're using them? I hear that a lot of people don't like blocky type handles, but the octagon shape is so popular.

+ Reply to Thread