High carbon steel mono layer knife inside EU

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blamoi

Reaction score
Hey everybody

Ive looked everywhere and i cant for the life of me find a good carbon mono layer knife inside EU.

I live i Denmark, the importing laws are vert strict, and sometimes they even destroy knifes cought in the costums.

What ive looked at so far is the Masamoto HC gyuto and the Misono Swedish Steel gyuto, but im very open to suggestions, i would like a 210 mm og 240 mm blade thats a good all rounder.

Maybe i havent searched hard enough, but i hope someone in here can help.

Hope to hear from you :)
Mads.

Welcome to the forum.

Has your search included Japanese Natural Stones - in Denmark? If Maxim doesn't have it, you probably don't need it:cool2::cool2::cool2: His Munetoshi line may meet your requirements.

Cleancut in Sweden is another well thought of retailer in that part of the world.

Cutting edge knives and Kataba are in the UK. I know CEK does international shipping, I'm sure Kataba will too.
Japan messer shop and messer meister are german based. I know japan messer shop sells sakai takayuki blue2 which are mono steel
Dictum has some stuff as does knives and tools
I'm sure there is one or two others that I'm forgetting

Edit : forgot japenische kochmesser from Switzerland

Thanks guys!
I will take a look and see what i can find :)

Thanks guys!!

I will take a look and see what i can find :)

Japanese Chefs Knives (https://japanesechefsknife.com/) in Japan can and will ship to Denmark. They carry both the Masamoto and the Misono. You will have to pay 27$ rather than the usual 7$ for shipping (because it's done through DHL who will also take care of costums). Koki - the owner who is an absolute pleasure to do buisness with - has a... hmm, how shal I put it?... rather creative way of declaring the value of the goods he sends, so you will not get taxed to hell

Welcome to the forum.

Has your search included Japanese Natural Stones - in Denmark? If Maxim doesn't have it, you probably don't need it:cool2::cool2::cool2: His Munetoshi line may meet your requirements.

Cleancut in Sweden is another well thought of retailer in that part of the world.

I must have missed that, im giving him a call :biggrin:
Thanks!

Japanese Chefs Knives in Japan can and will ship to Denmark. They carry both the Masamoto and the Misono. You will have to pay 27$ rather than the usual 7$ for shipping (because it's done through DHL who will also take care of costums). Koki has a... hmm, how shal I put it?... rather creative way of declaring the value of the goods he sends, so you will not get taxed to hell

Ive looked at the site, just had a very bad experience with a knife from outside the european union the last time.
Ordered the knife, costums got it and the knife was send to destruction because Post Danmark (danish postal service) wont handle any kind of weapon.

So im a little hesitant to order from Japan.

Japanese Chefs Knives (https://japanesechefsknife.com/) in Japan can and will ship to Denmark. They carry both the Masamoto and the Misono. You will have to pay 27$ rather than the usual 7$ for shipping (because it's done through DHL who will also take care of costums). Koki - the owner who is an absolute pleasure to do buisness with - has a... hmm, how shal I put it?... rather creative way of declaring the value of the goods he sends, so you will not get taxed to hell

I can vouch for Koki too. He will do whatever he can to help you in whatever way possible. Top guy great stock and a pleasure to deal with

By the way, I would avoid the Masamoto Virgin Carbons because of the numerous Fit&Finish issues that have been reported. F&F by Misono are excellent. JCK also carries Masahiro Virgin Carbons, very basic but with the harder steel. They don't advertise them, so ask Mr Iwahara, koki @ kencrest.us

By the way, I would avoid the Masamoto Virgin Carbons because of the numerous Fit&Finish issues that have been reported. F&F by Misono are excellent. JCK also carries Masahiro Virgin Carbons, very basic but with the harder steel. They don't advertise them, so ask Mr Iwahara, koki @ kencrest.us

Absolutely correct! I have only heard about he Masahiro but I own the Misono and LOVE it! F&F are perfect, the knife is a classic and it remains in my rotation, I use it regularly. For carbon steel, it is very forgiving, only minimal reactivity once a patina has set. My recommendation is for Misono from JCK! Koki is a pleasure to deal with, fast and cheap shipping do. the rest!

hiromoto 240 is a good choice as well, good feel on the board, gets pretty sharp and can take some abuse even for a honyaki.

Mr Koki Iwahara charges $7 for shipping to Europe by EMS. Believe me, it's fast.
Yes in general, but not to Denmark, it is, as I stated, $27 shipping with DHL. The reason for this is exactly the problems with the absurdly strict Danish laws in this field. Somehow DHL shipping is able to get around those (probably because DHL handles costums). It is still fast, though, last order took 3 days... :running:

Guys you're the best!
I'm gonna order a Misono swedish steel in 210mm or 240mm from Mr Koki :wink:

I stand corrected, thanks!
Well... not really. How on earth would you know? You don't have to live with our annoying laws. The good thing,though, is that we Danes can actually by from JCK whereas a lot of other overseas vendors have totally given up on us...

Well... not really. How on earth would you know? You don't have to live with our annoying laws. The good thing,though, is that we Danes can actually by from JCK whereas a lot of other overseas vendors have totally given up on us...

I fully rely on your explanation!
And I know something about Koki's inventiveness.

Get the 240. The Misono 210 is quite narrow for its size.

I thought a lot about, and it's hard to decide, I'm a pretty big guy so the Ekstra weight is not the problem, but I'm not cutting that many big thinks :)

It hasn't much to do with with the user's size. And I wouldn't suggest a 270 for every home user either. But I've seen a lot of people going from 210 to 240, and no one ever going back to 210.
My most used ones are 240-250, and I do have and use a 180 gyuto for special tasks -- nothing wrong with that.
But the 210 Misono is noticeably narrow, and happened not to work for me in general tasks.

And after ten years of use and sharpening abuse, with a 235mm gyuto with a 48mm width, you will remember the advice...

Please be aware the Misono comes with an overly convexed convexed edge by factory buffering. A weak edge you should get rid of. Start far behind the bevel at the right side, end at some 10 degrees, put a straight 15 degrees bevel on the left side and see how it works for you.

Never ran into a problem with shipping knives to Denmark...

Just ordered the 240mm can't wait to get it!
Thanks for the help guys, means a lot! :thankyou333:

Back