Removing Damascus Pattern

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe just polished it off with any combination of belt sanding, automotive sandpaper and or polishing pads like micromesh. Then just simply don't etch it. I've never tried this to completion however as I've always etched. Pre etch though the pattern could be barely visible.

Maybe just polished it off with any combination of belt sanding, automotive sandpaper and or polishing pads like micromesh. Then just simply don't etch it. I've never tried this to completion however as I've always etched. Pre etch though the pattern could be barely visible.

Thanks for the response. I was more curious about "the best" or most conventional ways to go about it and how much of a PIA the process is.

The one in BST looks like Jon did some polishing with belts? There are vertical sanding marks like a belt sanded finish, probably the fastest way to polish off the etched finish but could mess up quicker too. Slower would be to go through a progression of hard backed sandpaper and hand sand up to whatever level looks good to you. Switch directions each time you go up in grit so you can see that you've removed all the lower grit scratches.

Back