HELP. Stones for Misono swedish steel gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blamoi

Reaction score
Help everyone

Just ordered a Misono swedish steel gyuto in 240, now the next logical question is, which sharpening stones should i buy to match the knife :scratchhead:

I have a lot of diamond blocks, but I'm thinking about going over to water stones, because of the better feedback.

I've looked at the JNS stones, as I've heard good about them.

But I don't know which grits I should get, right know I can properly squeeze two stones into my budget.

Hope to hear from you
Mads

In general, you need three stones. A coarse stone of 300 - 500 grit, a medium stone of 1000 - 2000 grit, and a fine stone of 4000 - 6000 grit.

In specific, the synthetic Matukusuyama line at JNS in 300, 1000, and 6000 grits fit those criteria. If you are on a budget, postpone the purchase of the 300 as you would need it only to set a new bevel on a very dull knife or to repair a chip or broken tip.

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/jns-300-matukusuyama/
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/jns-1000-matukusuyama/
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/jns-6000-matukusuyama/

What he said.. and if you REALLY wanted to go bare bones about it you could even get by with only a 1000 grit until time comes to thin the bevel or repair big chips/broken tips. Although a Swedish steel Misono would benefit from a little higher grit finishing than 1000

You can pretty much pick any stones that fit your budget. If you are after feedback, I suggest looking at soakers - on average they are better in this aspect.
Grits if you only want two: 800-1000 and 3000-6000.
You might want to look at lower grits as well, but perhaps your current diamond plates can cover that range.

You won't properly deburr with a 1K only. I use Naniwa Pro 800 and 3k, corresponding with the end result they provide to 1200 and 4k. Have a look at knivesandtools.de

Thanks guys, I will take a look.
I heard that with some carbon knives it's better to have a little more toothy edge, and therefor its not always recommended to end on a really high grit stone, is that right?
The Naniwa stones looks nice as well, a little bigger then the JNS stones

I think I'm gonna go with the Naniwa professionel series, there's a good offer on them

Thanks guys, I will take a look.
I heard that with some carbon knives it's better to have a little more toothy edge, and therefor its not always recommended to end on a really high grit stone, is that right?
By the nature of its steel, the Misono favours a rather smooth edge. It won't be easy to form a very aggressive edge, and one shouldn't aim for that either. You still may obtain good bite by limiting the time on your fine stone.

By the nature of its steel, the Misono favours a rather smooth edge. It won't be easy to form a very aggressive edge, and one shouldn't aim for that either. You still may obtain good bite by limiting the time on your fine stone.

Thanks for the advice, just ordered the stones too.

Back